647jc

Well Known Member
I hadn't visited the WEB ePanel Builder site for sometime and when I went there yesterday I see it is no longer a free web application. In fact, it went from free to $39.00 per 3 month subscription, quite a jump in my opinion. The somewhat limited 3 month length of the subscription was not even mentioned on the site, I had to request that information via a support ticket. Anyway, I assume the product is quite good (the original one was) however the cost has become somewhat prohibitive in my opinion, especially the limited 3 month subscription since it will probably take me more than 3 months to completely sort out a panel design. I guess I would be interested in some comments on the ePanel Builder application, is it worth the $39.00 for 3 months? Are there any alternative products not quite so spendy?

You can use it for free, but it will have some limited functionality (like you can't save your design). You have to register to get to the free version. If you're just experimenting at this point, I'd suggest that route and then get the paid subscription when you get serious about the panel.

Dave

I'm using the free version right now, and feel that it's worth the bux when the time comes, espcially since it supports Mac OS X now...

:confused: What good does the free version do you when you can't save anything? So are you rebuilding the whole thing every time? Seems like a big waste of time. Yet, I also agree $39 seems pretty steep for only 3 months. I wouldn't hesitate at all if it were a flat $39 fee. In the overall scheme of things, I suppose it isn't all that bad, but then I am not so sure I need it and $39 for a program isn't bad but $156 for the year I may need it really stinks. Seems they got greedy. :mad:

Yeah, it's funny. I would have gladly paid $10 for the old site. The interface was much nicer, bordering on genius. It was so straight forward that it left you thinking, "Gee, there's nothing to it....look how simple", and THAT is the holy grail of user interface design.

I don't really need all the alignment tools, prices etc etc, and the current implementation is quirky and somewhat frustrating. I've been doing software for a long time and I can spot a contract job from a mile away...I KNOW the guy that did the current site isn't the same guy that pieced together the subtle brilliance of the original site. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

The business they're doing now, though, takes it from concept to actual panel cutting and if you're into that sorta thing (I'll be cutting my own panel) it works out. If I were interested in having someone cut my panel for me, I would be taking a good, hard look at the current site as a very viable way to get exactly what I wanted with no chance of misunderstanding. In this respect, it's pretty slick.

Every now and then, I go back and fiddle for a few minutes, secretly hoping that one day he'll become rich and famous and will bring back the old site just for laughs. For the most part, though, I just use a photo editing program to drag appropriately sized images around these days. As always, YMMV.