aelkins

Was browsing the available N-numbers out there. (to reserve for a future RV)
While searching I decided to plug in some numbers that are not presently available, just to see who had them.
One number that I tried was showing as 'hold' for a plane that was exported outside the U.S. a year ago. My first thought was.. 'if I get them to release it, I can apply for reservation'.. So, I called the FAA and inquired about the number.
They replied.. anytime a plane is exported, destroyed, etc we automatically place the N-number in the 'hold' que for 2 years. Even if the owner deregisters the plane, it stays in the hold que. After the 2 years, it becomes available for reservation/reissue.
My question was... "Why 2 years?".. the answer was... It's just our policy..
Any of you guys run into this when reserving certain N-numbers for your RV-to-be?..

Yes

We ran into this on a friends 10. We reserved it anyway and the timing should be pretty good. It seems to take longer to complete the plane than one expects. I reserved mine two years ago and I pay the $10.00 per year to keep it until it is plastered on the side of the craft. It took me about six months of wrangling to get what I wanted and based on my time to build two years would have been just fine as well. I believe that it is two years from the time of export and not the time of reservation. That may help.