n5lp

fugio ergo sum
Most of the posts from folks with flying RVs tend to be about how much fun they are to fly, how efficient, how wonderful they are for travel and blah blah. Well, yeh, that stuff is true, but not all is peaches and cream.

It is true that some people actually like building these things, not me, and maybe those same people like working on them, again not me. About three months before the condition inspection I start dreading it. My airplane is in its tenth year of flying and most of the issues I have found have been discovered during normal maintenance, like during tire changes, while washing, or just by being intimately familiar with the airplane and noticing changes. Still, it is required and I have found some problems during these inspections.

The Carlsbad climate is warm and I have tried to do the inspections in cooler months. This year, circumstances pushed the inspection to August, not a cool month. My inspection facility is an uninsulated, dirty, tee-hangar with a west facing door. I try to work mostly in the mornings but it is still pretty miserable doing a lot of the work, especially contorting around in the cockpit, removing panels and cramming myself back in the baggage compartment and going upside down to get under the instrument panel all the while with pools of sweat dripping off my face.

I finished last Sunday and later in the day decided to take a dusk flight. With everything clean and tuned and with the yearly tire inflation done, the airplane just seemed to taxi and fly smoother, you know like how a newly waxed car runs better.

I climbed out in smooth air over Carlsbad as the lights on the softball fields were coming on, the players appearing as crawling ants on the diamonds. We didn't get the forecasted thunderstorms, but there they were in the distance with the flashing light show. The pedestrian lights lining the river were reflecting on the water and there were a few boats moving along between the bank-defining lines of light.

I flew on north of Carlsbad toward the big sink hole, now around 400 feet wide, which I hadn't been able to see in over two weeks, in fact no one has seen it who doesn't have access to an airplane. By the time I got up there I could just make it out in the deepening dusk.

Heading back to the airport the lights of the nearby towns were emerging from the sea of darkness, evoking for me one of my most memorable flights, back in about 1967, when I had had my private license for one day and made a night formation flight with the examiner from the day before in the other airplane. It was the first time I got to see just how stunningly beautiful a night flight over the desert can be with the towns showing up over a hundred miles away.

The wind for landing on runway 8 was going to be about 10 knots, 30 degrees off the nose. The downwind leg is flown facing the Guadalupe Mountains and NO lights at all. I am making a lot of references to the attitude indicator as that is the only horizon I have, although the weather is clear and a hundred. Since I don't have recent night experience and tend to botch the landings when that is the case, I decide to do a rare-for-me wheel landing using the glassy water technique of just setting up a very slow rate of descent until touching, a neat option of the tailwheel configuration.

On short final I have power on in a slip and am facing back to the east now as a huge orange moon just starts peeking out from the clouds on the horizon. Lower, lower, then squeak on the upwind tire, then squeak on the downwind tire then hold it straight as the tail settles. As I turn off the runway I pop the tip-up canopy into the vent position, taxi to the hangar, shut off all the lights and the engine then sit for a while in the darkness.

Yes, the annuals are pretty miserable and I hope I get to keep doing them for many years!

Last edited:
July annual. West facing hangar. Mornings, contortions, sweat, dirt, fetching tools, checklists, stripped screw heads, panels off, panels on......
Yes, this is the miserable part of RV ownership. Good thing it is only once a year.
I feel your pain.......but post annual flights are sweeeeet!

Great Post

Hey Larry,

What a great post. We in AZ certainly know and understand your feelings. My annual is in December and it can still be uncomfortable climbing into the back and under the panel. But, in the end, it is all worth it.

Thanks for sharing. Next years project is to Air Condition the hangar.

nice!

Nice write up on the evening flight. Watching the shadows stretch out at dusk and the lights come on is pretty cool.
The annual is a necessary thing and it should not be looked on with dread or misery.
Come on, you guys have it easy!! At least you are not working on thirty + year old Wichita spam cans and you get to do it yourselves instead of paying some guy to do it for you. Think of the gas money you are saving!
The RV's with side by side seating are of course better in terms of room than the 4 and the 3.
The best thing about doing your own annual is the intimate familiarity that it brings with your airplane. Good on you guys for getting into the tail and under the panel to get a good look at everything. Try to see it as an opportunity to rectify any potential problems so that your plane will make it to it's next annual with no surprises.
If you think working on bigger planes is easier there is a reason they call the access openings "**** holes".
See ya
Phil

RE:Big Moon

Larry

I really enjoyed your write up on the good the bad and the misery.

I felt as if I was rigth there with you.

I have spent 4 cool winters and 3 very hot summers in my garage (Saint George Utat .....106 in the shade) (but it a dry heat)(bull) just trying to get my 7A completed. So I envy your misery!!!!

So Larry, please take another evening ride and dedicate to all us poor souls still toiling at getting it done:eek:

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... paint prep

Misery

Larry, some day, it the not so distant future, I hope to share your misery.

Thanks for the ride - I love flying at dusk.

Larry,
On a Friday 20 years ago we left work early and headed to Cavern City. Not too far west of Abilene we saw a dot of light on the western horizon. After some time I told Penny it was the ballfield lights near the airport. Over an hour later we passed them. Unbelivable visibility, one my most memorable trips to NM.

Great write-up, Larry. One of the things you might think about is a progressive annual. That's the way I've always done mine. There are week ends through the year when we can't fly (except maybe in Arizona!), so I'm always poking in my airplane and taking care of the wear items like brakes, belts, etc. At the end of the day they are always back together and in an airworthy condition. I leave the compression check for the final date, but mostly the condition inspection gets done fairly quickly.
Seeing as the airplane is always supposed to be in a condition for safe operation if flown, there aren't any things left to do at condition time. :)

Vic

I suppose there is always the option to hire the condition inspection out, it depends on how much you hate doing it. Personally, if I hate something enough to write a post about it online, I'd probably hire it out to professionals.

Very nice write-up Larry!

At first, I saw your title and thought "oh no, he's got a tank leak again!", but reading all the way through brought about familiar emotions, and it all ends well. Yup, those sun-facing hangars can be tough!

Paul

I suppose there is always the option to hire the condition inspection out,...
Misery or not I do think it is a good idea to do this from time to time. Other eyes and all that. I would probably do it more often if it was more convenient. Last year I did it for the first time and am glad I did but the 450 mile commute to the nearest mechanic you trust is not easy either.