cheathco

The A&P from local EAA chap that has been signing off my annual is very sick, unable to help this july. Talked to local A&P about working with me, he said due to some guy here mouthing off about things he was doing to his plane and FAA guy was in the room , issue of what we can or cant do has come up. He says non builder cant do anything more than cert aircraft owner. I told him we could do everything exept sign off annual, he disagrees. Where can I find FAA rules that I can print out for him? Charlie H

FAR part 43
Sec. 43.1 — Applicability.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (d) of this section, this part prescribes rules governing the maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alteration of any—
(b) This part does not apply to
(1) Any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate, unless the FAA has previously issued a different kind of airworthiness certificate for that aircraft; or
(2) Any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under the provisions of §21.191 (i)(3) of this chapter, and the aircraft was previously issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category under the provisions of §21.190 of this chapter.

Todd is correct.

Anyone can maintain, repair and modify an experimental amateur-built aircraft. Part 43 does not apply except where it is referenced in the operating limitations for condition inspection guidelines.

education

The degree to which A&P's are misinformed regarding homebuilts is simply amazing. I've actually had IA holders telling me that I have to have 337's for my RV mods. Find another A&P.

Many times the FAA doesn't know the reg's either when it comes to experimentals.

This was never more evident than when I traveled to the regional FSDO to apply for my RV8 Repairman certificate. I took all 4 inspectors , reading through the manual, two hours to figure out how to process the paperwork. One inspector started going through all my builders log photos commenting on how a lot of hardware was incorrectly installed - he was wrong as was pointed out by the other 3. At that point my job was to subtly keep them all focused on the task at hand and not going down the path of re-inspecting my plane (via photograph) and questioning the airworthiness certificate. They were all great guys doing their best to do the right thing for safety and compliance and I have no problem with their slow and methodical approach, but it did highlight how infrequently they really deal with us.