6 Gun

Well Known Member
well i took the plunge and im going 500 miles to pick up rv6 fast build kit im going in a full size dodge truck and i have a 7x14 lawn trailer any ideas on best way to pack wings should i build a wing cradle and carry them vertical or should i carry them flat the wings are my main concern i think the fuse will ride on the steps and pad under fire wall thanks in advance for your ideas bob

Been down this road too many times... IMHO, rent a 24"-26" enclosed cargo trailer. Hang the wings to the sides with foam and straps, fuse down the middle, and all the misc stuff and boxes around it. Too much can and probably will go wrong with an open trailer.

Not on the steps

The steps are prone to cracking enough as it is, I would not rest the fuselage on them. Also, only the -A models have steps normally, so if yours is a -6, I think it won't have them.

It will come with wood spar stubs bolted into the fuselage spar carrythrough, and you can support it by those, plus the tail wheel spring-rod.

I would make cradles for the wings - its pretty fast and assures no damage.

Biggest concern for any trailer is the ride quality of the trailer suspension. You are not putting much weight in it relative to typical trailer loads and it may ride very hard. I rented a 24' box truck to move my airplane to and from the paint shop, and I swear, the trucks with round wheels must have cost extra.

If you want to use a cradle, build the kind where you can secure the spar to the cradle, not the carpet sling kind... and secure the cradle Big Time... don't ask how I know. Everything MUST be secured and locked in place, or you can gain some pretty good damage to repair. Even Partain wraps and secures the wings to the sides of the trailer. I've moved kits as far as Washington State to Texas and damage is not a pretty site. Also, 16-24 packing quilts, you've got ailerons, flaps, wing tips etc that will need attention.

FWIW, when I picked up my full -9A QB, I had a 9-tonne tarp-sided truck (about 20x6') and the 3 crates barely fit. I would be most hesitant to use anything less if I we to do it over again.

trasport

this project was uncrated long ago and its an A model with steps but when i order the finish kit im making it a taildragger thanks everyone for tips if anyone has a pic of a good way to hold wings id like to see it and it looks like im going to use the lawn trailer

update

a friend of mine said i could use his 25ft car trailer enclosed and diesel truck to go and get it see giving airplane rides do pay off