custis

I'm New Here
My 19-year old son needs 20 hours of dual in our RV-4 before the insurance underwriter will add him to the aircraft policy and I'm not a CFI. Anyone in the Raleigh/Greenville NC area interested in giving him the time? You'll need 750 hours total time, 250 hours in taildragger and 25 hours in RV taildragger.
Thanks!

option

IF you don't find somebody local call Jim Achord at TVaircenter in Courtland Al. He might be able to work something out.

256-637-0901

Just curious who your underwriter is? When I bought my -4 my underwriter originally insisted on similar hours in the actual plane. Problem is, the RV-4 is a horrible plane in which to receive (and I presume give) instruction. They ended up letting me get 5 hours of dual in any tailwheel RV (I did mine with Jan Bussel in his RV-6 - highly recommended) and then 10 hours solo in the RV-4 before carrying passengers. You might see if they'll let you do something similar.

A little background into why I suggested a change in the training requirements.....the guy that I had lined up to do my transition training in the RV-4 was doing transition training for another gentleman in a newly purchased RV-8 a few weeks before I bought my plane. Although the RV-8 had rear rudder pedals, they managed to ground loop it. The instructor was along for the ride as the new owner fought him on the pedals (the story I heard, at least) and the pushrod connecting the front and rear pedals ultimately buckled, jamming the rudder. Again, in my opinion, the tandems are a terrible setup for transition training. I took the rear pedals out of my RV-4 shortly after buying it.