flyboy

Considering building either a 7 or an 8, can you describe differences in handling, specifically CG. It seems like the 8 would be easier to get out of cg due to the tandem seating. True or false? Also, I'm wondering about takeoff and landing characteristics - is one more (or less) docile than the other?

Actually, I would think that since the -8 has baggage storage compartments forward AND aft, it would be much easier to keep CG in range. It may require some thought, but I do think this is the case.

Given that the -7's and -8's use an identical wing and an almost identical tail, I would not be willing to say that one is more docile than the other. There are the usual advantages/disadvantages to each model pertaining to centerline seating vs. side-by-side seating, etc.

You've just gotta build what your heart tells you to build.

i've always read and heard that both fly almost identically. build the one you want (or the one you're wife tells you you can build :rolleyes: ).

The -8's tend to have a forward CG solo (especially if you have a big engine/CS prop), so it is pretty hard to get them in an aft CG condition. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with aft CG in an -8.

Cheers