danielhv

Well Known Member
This thread was deleted earlier but I do not know why... Perhaps I accidently put it in the wrong forum... so lets try again...

I was browsing through videos of OSH 09 and came across this one... 23 seconds into it an RV is shown landing... but keep watching... it looks like they lose it and ground loop... I havent seen anything about this on the forums and want to know what happened... is everyone ok? And I'd also like to know how the staff at Airventure handles accidents? Do they shut the entire field down until its clear? Or just that runway? Is NTSB sitting there with pen & paper waiting to fill out reports?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9OG_IMI0qU

Yep, that's a ground loop!

If there is an incident on one runway generally the others remain open.

It has to be interesting to have one of the most embarrassing moments of your life imortalized on youtube.:eek: :eek:

I watched a ground loop on Sunday and they only shut down that runway for ~45 minutes.

I was also talked into volunteering at the time for a skydiving team and was working at one of the entry points onto the field. (Right in front of the blue dot camera)

The FAA and NTSB both came through my gate and were at the scene within 5 minutes of the accident.

Phil

In the video it appears that his tail was lifting into the air just as the main wheels are touching...possibly some wind gust could have lifted the tail???... would a 3 point landing been more ideal with the apparent xwinds?. just wondering, as I do not have my tailwheel endorsement...yet...

In the video it appears that his tail was lifting into the air just as the main wheels are touching...possibly some wind gust could have lifted the tail???... would a 3 point landing been more ideal with the apparent xwinds?. just wondering, as I do not have my tailwheel endorsement...yet...

Ryan,

They are bad to have you land downwind at OSH. Tail draggers really don't like downwind landings, so that didn't help the guy.

The problem is getting it slowed enough to three point it on the requested dot.

However, it comes down to your desired technique. Notice that many of the planes were landing on one wheel, dropping the other wheel, and then letting the tail drop once the speed drops. This is my preferred X-wind method. The reason is that the little extra speed you carry to perform a wheel landing gives you a little extra control. Once things slow down you can use your brakes to maintain directional control, when/if the rudder becomes ineffective.

Since this guy?s rudder peddle broke, he was along for the ride and had he three pointed it, he probably would have still ground looped it and the tail would have come up, as you saw in the video.

Rough Day

I was at the north end of 36 when this happened. The wind was a perfect 270 about 15g20. Tough job in any airplane, let alone one with a one-way rudder. The aircraft looked very repairable. Not sure about the prop, etc. At least it hit the grass not the pavement.

ff

After the mains touch and the tail comes up......thats the pilot pushing on the stick to keep the mains on the ground.

Standard procedure on a wheel landing....At least it is for me!

Older 6 owners, Check your Rudder Weldments!

I still hear about 6's out there that have not had the SB done. If the weldment gives way, you lose rudder and brakes on that side. Your pretty much done at that point. Glad nobody was hurt.
If your buying a used 6, or any other RV for that matter, always check Van's site and insure the SB's are done. I log them in the AF log and make it a regular part of my CI.

Never Flown Into OSH...BUT

If this was a known issue, why not abort the landing and find a close by airport that had a runway into the wind? Would have had a much better chance for a good result.

Or did the rudder peddle break on landing?

I've gotten wheel landing lessons from the best teachers - experience. Never push (unless your CG is so far aft you can't nose over)! :eek:

If this was a known issue, why not abort the landing and find a close by airport that had a runway into the wind? Would have had a much better chance for a good result.

Or did the rudder peddle break on landing?

I've gotten wheel landing lessons from the best teachers - experience. Never push (unless your CG is so far aft you can't nose over)! :eek:

It probably broke on landing. If it was broken in the air, I suspect he would have brought it in as slow as possible, meaning a 3-point landing.

Never push (unless your CG is so far aft you can't nose over)! :eek:

Different strokes for different folks.... Pushing is just fine and is taught by many as the way to do it. Of course you have to be reasonable...

Anyway, I think there is a massive thread were this was debated some while back in great detail :rolleyes:

There outta be a law!

Those darn Tail Draggers. They should outlaw them. Somebodys gonna put a eye out.:D

Last edited:
I was at the north end of 36 when this happened. The wind was a perfect 270 about 15g20. Tough job in any airplane, let alone one with a one-way rudder. The aircraft looked very repairable. Not sure about the prop, etc. At least it hit the grass not the pavement.

ff

Watched the fellas from Myers offload it from a flatbed and put it in a hangar. Three blade Catto didn't have a scratch. The owner didn't look to be in any mood to talk, so I didn't.

Tony

Looked like an excellent crosswind landing to me. Loss of rudder control in that situation can be disasterous. Good job keeping under control as well as the pilot did.

Roberta