aelkins

This posting is going to address 2 subjects.
1).. Defining the criteria/perceptions of turf strips
2).. Communication of a boo-boo that I made in attempts to keeping other from repeating it.

Here's the facts..
I recently decided to extend my 2000' grass strip an additional 500'
(basically, to the end of my property line)

My original 2000' is 3 years old. I used a motorgrader to level and grade-slope the strip. I planted Fescue and Centipeed grass. (which the centipeed has choked and covered the fescue well). It appears to be much smoother each year. All I have personally flown in/out of the strip has been a C-150, and it feels smooth. At least smoother than most grass strips that I landed my C-150 in comparison. (however, the gear of an RV would probably feel the slight bumps moreso)
Phase 2.. the 500' extension.
I had to excavate the trees/woods, disc, and again motorgrade the 500'
No problem, other than a couple wet spots requiring drainage. When it come time to seed, I decided to use my lawn mower (and bumper-buddy 12V seeder.. works GREAT) However, I decided to perform the annual service on the JD GT-235 first.. Oil, fuel/air filter, etc.. This year I decided to change the spark plugs as I noticed a slight occasional 'skip'.
(this is where the boo-boo begins)
Just after servicing, it ran great so I started seeding. After about 15 minutes, the 'skip' returned. It got worse, and eventually to the point the engine began backfiring with black puffs of exhaust. (obviously RICH)
So, I stopped, and pulled the plugs.. both were fouled.
I decided to put the old plugs back in. It restarted and ran fine... at least for about 15 minutes, and then the same backfiring. I stopped it, and went to town, got 2 new plugs and replaced. This time, I checked the ignition firing with the plug grounded to the case.. Fires great.. Started seeding, and sure enough, 15 minutes later.. Bang-Bang-Bang.
At this point, I was close to finished seeding so, I went full throttle and pushed my luck. The next day, I took the lawn mower to the John Deere dealership. (Any guesses on what they found?)
As I descibed the symptoms to the JD mechanic, he grinned and said "No problem, I'l have you fixed up in a minute". I watched as he drained out 8 - 10 ounces of oil, then dropped the plugs in the ultrasonic washer for a 30 second wash, then replaced the plugs. In less than 2 minutes he had it cranked and running smooth. Go figure !!
Lesson learned.. when servicing a gas engine that holds 1.8 quarts of oil, do NOT estimate on the second quart.
It has run fine ever since.
So, back to the original subject.
What consitutes a smooth, semi-smooth, rough grass strip?
At what point do you avoid landing at a grass strip in fear of possible plane damage?. I know that there are tons of RVs enjoying the grass strips considering they possess the performance to do such.
Any particilar preventive concerns/procedure do you use before deciding to use a turf strip?..
Your thoughts?

A pilot should always get information regarding any runway they intend to use, whether it is grass or otherwise. Runway condition, obstacles in the approach and departure path, traffic conditions, length, width, lighting, time of day,etc. Contact local agencies, call someone familiar and uses the runway, check NOTAMs and other alerts, walk the runway, ensure you are competent in your flying skills to use a runway, and make sure the plane is fit for the conditions that exist.

Roberta