Steve Brown

Well Known Member
FYI:

I've noticed posts from time-to-time asking for instructor referrals for RVs.

I've flown twice now with Mary Ellen Carlin of West Vally Flying club:
http://www.wvfc.org/instruct/carlin.html
Contact her directly via that link.

I did an IPC with her about 6 months ago, and a BFR + IPC yesterday

First time we flew:
She asked me a lot more questions about the airplane and I showed her the maintenance logs, etc. She knew nothing about me except what was written in my log book, so she was more verbal on the ground and in the air, probing to see if I knew what the heck I was doing. All very reasonable IMO.

Some qualifications I look for in an instructor which she meets:
-Knows more about flying than I do
-No irresistible urges to grab the controls unnecessarily
-Only minor verbal inputs in the air - saves debrief for the ground
-Accepts that there are different ways of doing the same thing right
-Ego which fits comfortably into a small airplane

First time we met at PAO where I was based. This time we met at RHV because I moved. I think she's pretty flexible.

Give her a call if you need an instructor.

Also Available

I like that list, pretty good.

I'm in the San Jose area and a CFII. I dont have time for primary instruction but available for IPCs, BFRs, tuneups, etc. Lots of taildragger experience and in addition to the RV8 (in progress) I own a Cessna 185.

Tim

Another good one is Robin Reid. He has around 25,000 hours, does first flights, even for other airline pilots, CFI, former Reno racer, son of the legendary Ameilia Reid, and currently 747 driver. In his spare time he helps out homebuilders to be better pilots. You can get in touch with him thru Ameilia Reid Aviation at Reid Hillview Airport in San Jose.

Another good one is Robin Reid. He has around 25,000 hours, does first flights, even for other airline pilots, CFI, former Reno racer, son of the legendary Ameilia Reid, and currently 747 driver. In his spare time he helps out homebuilders to be better pilots. You can get in touch with him thru Ameilia Reid Aviation at Reid Hillview Airport in San Jose.
I just wanted to add another endorsement of Robin who transitioned me into our -4. He?ll be moving up to Oregon next summer for those living further north.