Phyrcooler

Well Known Member
I read in the news today that Cessna is outsourcing the new 162 Skycatcher to CHINA. I am thoroughly disgusted. Had I not already decided to build my own... THAT would have cemented the deal.:rolleyes: DJ

Are you getting a quick build?

I want to buy USA only. It is not very easy.

I wouldn't buy one of those things anyway. If you have 100K burning a hole in your pocket, go on barnstormers and get a very nice built RV.

I agree but good luck with buying 100% American made.

Don't forget to buy "Made in the USA" (MitUSA) tools, electronics, etc. if you are going to go that route as there are a lot of tool makers out of business because of China and other parts of the world. Oh, and all that money you are going to save on your electronics by purchasing an iCom A210, fagitaboutit, they are Japanese.

BTW, I gave up on the MitUSA thing when I found out my Jeep was made in Canada, my mother's US made mini-van had a Japanese engine, my Japanese truck was MitUSA, my car was made in Japan but the company is owned and controlled by Ford, etc., etc., etc.

What I'm getting at is as much as I hate to see other than "Made in the USA" on everything I own, there really isn't much we can do and if you are going to go with the "Made in the USA" logo, go all the way.

Sorry about the rant but the manufacturing company I work for is trying to keep all of its jobs here in the US but we are finding it more and more difficult to do so.

And don't forget, Van's QB kits are not assembled by the good folks in Aurora, OR.

Gary Bricker

Where you have a choice do what I do and buy USA. The Japs and Germans shot at my dad and the chinese shot at me. So I do hold a grudge.

While I agree it is frustrating to see all the manufacturing leaving the US, it just does not seem possible to buy all of what you need and want made here in the US . But when you select a product made overseas, there are choices we can make.

When it comes to cars for example, you can buy a car made by a company that is based in a country that has free trade with the US ( like Canada or Germany) or one that has unequal barriers like Japan. I do not choose Japan since there is still a choice.

When it comes to deciding based on who was shooting at our parents, well, these days it is a war of economics , not so much of bullets. The Germans were shooting at my parents, but those Germans are not the ones building cars now.

At least when it comes to state of the art electronics most of the technology still comes from USA.

I was a buy American advocate until my 2nd chevy in a row died an early death. No satisfation from GM so never again for life. I consider the Japanese our friends now but was very disappointed to discover my 2 Nissans are actually French. I do like my new Polaris RZR(thank you Canada).

I was a buy American advocate until my 2nd chevy in a row died an early death. No satisfation from GM so never again for life. I consider the Japanese our friends now but was very disappointed to discover my 2 Nissans are actually French. I do like my new Polaris RZR(thank you Canada).

Four Toyota pickups --- 1985-2003 -- well made & durable. A few problems, such as head gaskets on the early models.

New in 2004 Chevy Silverado/diesel --- 78,000 miles, and is still holding up rather well. All electronic equipment still works as well as on day one. Duramax engine and Allison transmission have been great!

Have replaced a front end bearing & tie rod, but I didn't help it any by wacking a gutter water drain notch at about 55 mph.

Would buy Toyota again, and probably Chevy too; after I see what it's doing at 130,000 miles or so.

New in 1998, Honda Valkyrie motorcycle. No problems.............period.

1996 -- 0360 Lycoming. Started on first blade in 2007. Must have been the Van's priming system... :D (RV related)

L.Adamson -- RV6A

And don't forget, Van's QB kits are not assembled by the good folks in Aurora, OR.

The Philippine Islands were a former unincorporated territory of the United States, so it would be a stretch, but you could say that Van's RV's are Made in the Old USA.

Look Out For That Lead Paint!

I read in the news today that Cessna is outsourcing the new 162 Skycatcher to CHINA. I am thoroughly disgusted. Had I not already decided to build my own... THAT would have cemented the deal.:rolleyes: DJ

To be safe, if you buy a Skycatcher, you better keep you kids away from it. for fear of them getting lead poisoning.

I wounder how they are going to meet the weight requirements with all of that lead in the paint. But, that will probably be the least of the problems.

Tom

My Toyota Tundra pickup was manufactured in Princeton, Indiana. It's hard to understand why GM and Ford can't do final assembly on vehicles in the US anymore. Here in Georgia we are getting a new Kia plant down south. Apparently the Japanese and Koreans know how to make a buck on US labor, but apparently we Americans have lost that ability, and now we can only think of maximizing profits by cutting costs and offshoring jobs (how original and insightful).

Does anyone else find it ironic that the Chinese are manufacturing an airplane that will have probably 0 sales in China? China has no such thing as GA.

Last edited:
...Apparently the Japanese and Koreans know how to make a buck on US labor, but apparently we American's have lost that ability, and now we can only think of maximizing profits by cutting costs and offshoring jobs (how original and insightful)...
Isn't it funny how they have offshored their jobs to us?

no offense to any folks of Chinese orign

I was at OSH this year and I watched the ticker on the deposits go up by the minute (they had an electronic counter to help create a feeding frenzy).
Personally, I would want a refund. Nothing against Chinese folks, but if Cessna had my money, I would be asking for it back. I think this was a big mistake on their part as most folks in line to pony-up +100Gs were doing so because they think they are getting a Cessna.

In the motorcycle industry, the Chinese offerings have been total junk, they are getting better with all the dough we have going their way, but I won't be strapping my carcus to anything that says MADE IN CHINA. I know Van uses overseas labor, but Cessna is a "legacy" american aircraft manufacturer, they aren't selling **** like Walmart (which I boycott). So when will Boeing go to China, how bout Gulfstream, Lear, etc, etc. I am embarassed for Cessna.

Come to think of it, I building an RV so it's someone else's issue, except that I need the US economy to stay viable.
Rant over...................

China made

I own a lot of products made in China, including anything I've ever bought from Harbor Freight. I buy them knowingly, and accept a high failure rate in doing so. I think it's near impossible to buy anything that doesn't have some component in it made overseas. We live in a global world now, and things aren't as cut and clear as they used to be.

That said, I would never, NEVER, NEVER trust my life to an airplane made in China!

ouch!

Sorry to burst y'alls bubble, but according to the Shenyang Aircraft' Companys web site (the announced builder of the Cessna Skycatcher) they have been making Boeing parts for some time.
Empennage for the 737-700 and the 757's cargo door.
Not even the Harley Davidson motorcycle is all made in to USA.

http://www.sac.com.cn/eng/commercial/airplane-products.htm

That is disappointing, but I understand and I shouldn't be suprised about Boeing - already knew that about HD. I still believe there is a fundamental difference, from a perception standpoint, between a piece of the airplane built in China vs the whole thing. As I stated on the Matronics forum, I think Cessna is making a huge mistake. People don't buy airplanes because they need them, it's an emotional purchase and no one wants to be made-the-fool when they paid $100,000.00 for the "made in china" airplane from Harbor Freight. I know that China has the resources to build a fine airplane, but with all the bad press over Dog food and kid's toys you have to amit its a PR nightmare for Cessna. I boycott Walmart out of principal so I'm kinda extreme.

It's a global market, and it has been so for decades, millennia actually, but at an increasing rate that will not stop untill the global market is complete - everywhere on the globe. The other option is to go back to pre historic ages, or do as North Korea and isolate themselves from the world.

Pieces of metal and plastic, chips of silicone - who cares where on the globe they are made? All the Cessnas I have flown except one have been made in France. The only difference between Cessnas made in France and the US, is that the ones made in France is properly corrision protected for the European climate, so they last, while the US ones have corroded away.

The world is not going backward anytime soon.

Freedom.......

The Buy American crowd wants you to buy ONLY American. If America builds it better, I will buy American. If the overseas competition builds it better and less expensive, I will buy theirs. The great thing about being an American is the freedom of having the CHOICE. Go ahead and stay true and buy American...but don't prevent me from choosing to buy else where. After all....I'm an American and I have the Freedom to choose......

You just never know

I always look to buy "north american" whenever i can, my dad headed the popular "buy the cars your neighbours help to build" campaign 20 years ago, when the imports were just starting up. BUT, The big three can import festivas, colts, etc etc and put their sticker on it, or fill the first 10 years of minivans with mitsubishi engines and thats ok??Honda builds a 200 million dollar plant in my area and hires thousands and my wife buys a HONDA minivan made in Ontario and thats bad? You cant win this argument either way. Its the global economy and just do your best to support you neigbhours within reason. I have bought 11 new vehicles over the last 20 years. Honda and BMW were so far superior to ANY big three i have ever owned. The money i saved in repairs and better resale went back into the economy for vacations, maybe even down the road helped me pay for this plane. In the last 10-20 years the "off shore" care makers have invested billions and billions in land purchases, new plants, new technology and new jobs all in our own backyards. Yes the profits go offshore, but thats still better than all the empty gm, ford and chrysler plants around my area. How could Harley an American ICON, sell out americans and start importing parts??? They did and they are doing great. All these new radios and efis, glass panels...we couldnt afford any of it if they were all made with union labour. Heck, we wouldnt be on the internet if it wasnt for all the cheap chips/routers/fiber and puter parts we get off shore. In my area with all the auto layoffs at the big three, everyone has stickers on their car saying...
Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign!
There are hundreds of them at COSTCO, WALMART and the electronics stores every day filling up on big screens and home theatres. What is the difference?
Isnt this an airplane site? Sorry, this is a soft spot. Even my Dad gave in and finally bought a toyota van. Go figure...and he loves it.
Nuff said.

Oh boy, here it comes...

I fly the American flag outside my home everyday. I would like nothing more than to by American and only American. But, sadly, if I want quality stuff that lasts I usually have to look elsewhere.

I dont think America lacks the technology or knowhow our Aerospace industry is proof of that. What it lacks nowadays is good old fashion pride. Pride in country, pride in being an American, pride in what you do and the quality of your work, pride in knowing you did the best job that you could and feeling good that you did.

You can see the lack of all these qualities everywhere you look. From the grocery checker that doesn't even look at you when you say hello to the paper delivery person that lazily chucks your paper in the puddle at the end of your driveway. Most American workers nowadays could care less except when it comes to getting more money for less work. Their unions, tho necessary to protect the workers rights, have forced many companies into the Red or worse to layoff in order to keep paying their lazy workers what the union damands or else go on strike. GM is barely hanging on yet the UAW is demanding more pay/ benifits for their workers. Things are compounded when those same 'workers' work for the typical Anerican employer who's bottom line is money and producing a product as quickly and absolutely cheaply as buyers will put up with.

Awhile back I read an article in Business Week or similar magazine about the decline in quality of Toyota vehicles that prior to being assembled in America had a very good reputation. These cars were built with the exact same parts and machinery as those built in Japan but they were having serious reliability problems and were loosing their reputation for quality. What it came down to was the American worker that was assembling these Toyota vehicles. Unlike Japansee workers that apperently take pride in their work, the American workers were extremely careless in following simple assembly guidelines and their was virtually no quality control to correct their poor work. Simple things such as not bothering to align mating surfaces, properly tighten bolts or worse not bother putting a second bolt/screw in when a single one 'seemed' to hold it 'good enough'. Unbelievably, Japanese Toyota management had to come in and clean house, fire managers and 'force' the American workers to do decent work and enforcing quality control.

Look at any Consumer Reports annual car issue, flip to the back and you'll see almost all American vehicles are rated very poorly. Reliability, quality and workmanship consistantly trail behind imports such as Toyota. It's disgusting. Even staunch US supporters such as my Dad, a WW2 vet that lost 65 of his shipmates when a kamikaze struck his Destroyer, for years he refused to buy anything not labeled Made in the USA much less Made in Japan finaly got tired taking his American cars in for repairs and now drives a Toyota.

PBS had a program on the dying American auto industry. A GM plant in the mid-west had to close it's doors after over 20 years. The workers were out of a job and angry that a non-American auto maker, Honda, was taking over. Angry that if you worked for Honda you were not unionized (they may be now), wore the same uniforms (overalls) as your supervisors/managers and you were expected to complete tasks in a strict time frame under the supervision of a quality control manager. Well those same angry workers were interviewed several months later and the majority were very happy working for their new employer and a palpable air of pride was evident.

Thats just the American auto industry. I've got friends that have recently gone thru remodels. The story is the same. Poor workmanship, the least expensive and cheap materials as they could 'get away with' and thats if they even showed up. My own remodel required me to remind the sub-contractors several times that I wasn't remodeling to sell the property but instead plan to retire here so 'please' (as if I should actually have to ask!) build to last and not use cheap material. Their answer was usually the same, 'oh, ok, then we should not use this particle board that wont last very long in you bathroom but instead use solid wood' or 'ok, then I should go ahead and use the insulation with the higher R rating since this stuff wont hold the heat in at all'. I could tell they were used to using the cheapest materials and doing a half *** job was 'normal' to them, after all who's gonna know? No pride, none!

Unfortunately nowadays in America mediocrety is acceptable, 'I got mine who cares about the other guy' is normal and taking pride in your work is almost gone. A shame really, considering what the Greatest Generation fought and died for.

So yes, there is plenty of cheap **** coming out of China and if you want to keep replacing your broken Harbor Frieght junk thats your business, buy American and only American but do your research first, buyer beware, that the norm.

Rant off, sorry had to vent.

Mike

...I boycott Walmart out of principal so I'm kinda extreme.

You're not as extreme as you might think. I know of many here who won't go anywhere near a Walmart (I've never been). Besides the China issue I have a problem with their position on unions. It seems to me that in the long run, people who do go are only cutting off their nose to spite their face...

American Made here!

Interestingly, I tried to outsource the mfg of the frame casting for my product, The Terminal Tool. I hired an international engineering/manufacturing firm to assist in that process. They provided engineering assistance, communicated with the factory, were responsible for quality, and brokered the entire transaction right to product delivered to my door. It all sounded great to me, until after I spent my money and they returned preproduction samples that were junk. Even after giving them a second chance, I just had to call it off.

Without going into all the details, I dropped that contract and considered it a lesson learned. Mfg in China has many pitfalls, especially if you're a small outfit like me. Big companies can pull it off much easier. Many of them have staff on-site in China and keep a very close watch of the operation. I can't do that.

So now, all the castings for my product are done right here in the USA. WL Castings, in Louisville, is a family owned and operated foundry. They're absolute MAGICIANS with investment castings. 8630 steel frame and 17-4 stainless precipitation hardened die sets are standard. First samples they sent me evoked one word when I opened the box: WOW!!

Having stubbed my toe once, I've routed all the mfg of the TT to US entities. Many of them are in OKC, OK nearby so I have close contact with every step of the process. It does cost a bit more - like about 5 times more. I cut my profit margins in half in making this move, but I sleep better at night knowing I have quality vendors in all areas of the product.

If you buy the TT, you can rest assured that you're buying American.

it's our own fault

Well... it's our own fault really... We all know the Germans are fantastic auto engineers... and the Russians are good at Vodka.. etc... I am a 3 tour vet and I drive a VW. It's cause it gets 51 mpg and it's dependable. So untill we provide proper parenting to our kids and prepare them for their future and we go get our own education and master a trade... we will be a middle-lower class country. It's capitalism. The best wins. So, untill Chevy and Ford come out with a car that gets 51mpg and is dependable, I wont buy one. We all remember the K car... woooooo we..... Now... if we can get our act together and master something.. we will be set. The only people we have to blame is ourselves.... It's our politicians too... so lets get good at our trade and charge for it... I fought for our freedom... but that does not mean I can sit on my can.... I still have to earn a living... and I do... by teaching systems and maintenance on a jet. Wake up America.
off my soapbox for now...
Best
Brian

...I cut my profit margins in half in making this move, but I sleep better at night knowing I have quality vendors in all areas of the product...
Imagine an entrepreneur who actually values quality over the almighty dollar, what kind of American are you?!?

Kudos!! It?s a sad indictment that the vast majority of money-grubbing American businessmen would rather take a sleeping pill.

And I agree with Eddie, we?ve got no one to blame but ourselves?

i bought a pack of
made in america with our flag to put on some of my trailers etc..................
the **** package said made in china.
gd it!
i'll probably get lead poisoning! LOL
fred

I wonder if the money we are sending over to China today, will come back to haunt us like the cheap steel we sold to Japan before WWII?

Yep.

I buy the best quality I can find. If it is helping a worker in Iowa feed their family then great - it it is helping a worker in China feed theirs then then that is just as great.

;)

Between this and the RV List, the Cessna announcement sure has gotten passions all stirred up.

But, the question I have is where was everybody last July when Cirrus announced at Oshkosh that they'd build their LSA in Poland?

As for the whole China thing, well, are you scared? Or are you excited?

The answer, to my way of thinking, determines what sort of Americans the Greatest Generation left behind. They were the generations, like so many others, that was always confident it could meet challenges through innovation.

Now, it seems we start off with a real "we can't" attitude.

Anyone know musical wind instruments ?

Same deal . . .
Chinese wind instruments are junk but very cheap.
Korean instruments are pretty good and affordable.
Japanese instruments are excellent and expensive.
USA or European instruments are tops and too
expensive for anyone but pro musicians.

Anyone buying them should know what they are buying.
Sound familiar? Airplane instruments?
Ever heard of Falcon instruments?
United instruments? You make the call.

As an FYI, kudos to Menards (homecenter). In their weekly ads they indicate MiUSA next to the products that are on special.

Same deal . . .
Chinese wind instruments are junk but very cheap.
Korean instruments are pretty good and affordable.
Japanese instruments are excellent and expensive.
USA or European instruments are tops and too
expensive for anyone but pro musicians.

Anyone buying them should know what they are buying.
Sound familiar? Airplane instruments?
Ever heard of Falcon instruments?
United instruments? You make the call.

Made in Japan & Korea, was once considered "junk", just as China's products have been.

I have no doubt, that China will move forward in the quality department, just as these other nations. It's just the way it is, considering that so many well known U.S. companies have set up shop, there.

BTW-- I just noticed that my high definition Sony DVD player is built in Malaysia & the remote in China. Okay, then add Japan to the list of setting up shop in China too! :D

L.Adamson

Imagine an entrepreneur who actually values quality over the almighty dollar, what kind of American are you?!?​

Actually, it's smart business now with the dollar tanking. Just as Japan found it was cheaper to produce cars over here in the 80's, with transport costs soaring now, domestic manufacturing should get more competitive. The international trade market was subsidized with cheap oil. Now that that era is likely over, the pendulum will swing back.

20 years ago, we thought the family farm was going to be extinct. Enough people decided to shop at the farmers market as opposed to Walmart, and the local/organic farm industry was (re)born.

It may not actually be healthier or cheaper, but it does taste better.

I just finished writing a term paper on Boeing's use of outsourcing. Basically, a boeing 787 when it becomes reality will be no more an American airplane then the Airbus A330 that congress is balking at using for our new aerial tanker. The 787 is partially designed and most of the major pieces are to be assembled outside the United States. The 777 was build in partnership with Fuji Heavy Industries and Kawasaki Heavy Industries. The 787 partner in japan in Aero-Subaru. Part of the wing is being built in Italy as well if I'm not mistaken. Honestly, foreign workers aren't the problem with quality, it's just cheap designs. If Cessna designs it and it's built to their specs, the labor involved won't be any worse that typical Union labor here in the states. Why do you think there are so many problems with Ford these days...?

Between this and the RV List, the Cessna announcement sure has gotten passions all stirred up.

But, the question I have is where was everybody last July when Cirrus announced at Oshkosh that they'd build their LSA in Poland?

As for the whole China thing, well, are you scared? Or are you excited?

The answer, to my way of thinking, determines what sort of Americans the Greatest Generation left behind. They were the generations, like so many others, that was always confident it could meet challenges through innovation.

Now, it seems we start off with a real "we can't" attitude.
Judging from the number of views, I agree, passions are stirred up and they should be.

I couldn’t disagree more with your last sentence, American workers can hold their heads high. Beyond the ‘American work ethic’ that drives Americans to work more hours than in most countries, statistically I believe we have one of the most efficient work forces in the world.

But allowing multi-national global corporations (who don’t give a flying fig about America or its workers) the ability to pit our workers against those who aren’t allowed to organize, who have no history of workers rights, who have no health or safety standards, who have no environmental laws and who’ll happily work for pennies on the dollar has lead us to our current sad state of affairs. All the promises of NAFTA and other ‘free trade agreements’ have been shown to be false and instead gave us 400,000 lost jobs.

I’m a proud liberal, but when it comes to immigration and the ‘global economy’ I find myself agreeing more with the likes of Pat Buchanan. I’ve also noticed that most of the proponents of ‘free trade’ have income levels in the 6 digit range and can afford to ignore all the down sides.

Last edited:
Why isn't outsoucing a political issue

I've noticed that all of the political candidates share strong views on illegal immigration, and have made it one of the top 3 campaign issues. But I don't recall ever hearing any of them discuss the threat that outsourcing poses to the country.

If you take a moment to look around you, you will notice that your craftsman tools are made in Mexico; the kitchenware you purchased from Williams Sonoma is made in China; your clothes, cars, RV QB are probably made in Asia; practically all of our industrial manufacturing has been outsourced overseas- Maytag applicances to China; electronics (Microsoft; HP; Intel; Cisco Systems; etc. etc.)to Asia and India; major auto manufacturers have laid off all of their American workers and opened factories in China and elsewhere in Asia; etc. What's going to be left for American's. I guess all we will be good for is manufacturing weapons and fighting the world's wars.

Have our politicians been bought off. Are we blaming it all on illegal Mexican workers doing our $2/hour jobs? What poses the greater concern your $100k/ year engineering and programming jobs, or the illegal Mexican dishwasher in your local greasy spoon?

I wonder if the money we are sending over to China today, will come ba k to haunt us like the cheap steel we sold to Japan before WWII?

Money were GIVING to china???? Who do you think we're in debt to? Thats one of the countries paying for the wars. We're buying oil and goods at an outrageous margin to settle. Remember that oil tanker that just split open a couple of weeks ago? Kinap em and lock them in disney world.:D

I have never understood this head in the sand mentality of not shipping jobs overseas?? Who really thinks we are shipping jobs overseas??

A quick look at the numbers shows that the unemployment rate was something over 6% in 1950 and is a bit under 5% now. Let's just say they're equal for argument's sake. If we're shipping all these jobs overseas, why hasn't unemployment skyrocketed??? In fact it's dropped since everything was 'made in the USA.'

Of course we're not shipping jobs overseas, we're simply changing the workforce here in the USA and the new jobs require a higher education and the result is higher pay across the board. Of course you can find examples where this isn't the case, but there is no evidence that says otherwise when you look at the overall workforce.

So the 162 will be manufactured in China, great. We'll replace those low hourly pay jobs making a little airplane and replace them with highly educated jobs designing them and engineering them instead (or pick one of the many other higher paying jobs).

"What's going to be left for American's?" Well according to the data, a lot of higher paying jobs that require a higher education and result in a higher standard of living for our country.

As Americans we always adapt to the global situation and continue to be the best country. Will we manufacture as much as we did 50 years ago? No, we'll have better jobs that allow us to continue to lead the world in information, technology and engineering to name just a few. But if this great nation had always adapted this head in the sand mentality of not wanting to change, not wanting to adapt and just sticking to our old ways, we'd still be a nation that does little more than what we were doing 300 years ago.

Remember, NO JOBS ARE DISAPPEARING, they are only changing. Until I see the unemployment rate climb well above what it was in the past half century rather than fall, I'm not sure how anybody could say otherwise.

"What's going to be left for American's?" Well according to the data, a lot of higher paying jobs that require a higher education and result in a higher standard of living for our country.

What concerns me is what happens to this country if we find ourselves in a situation like we did in WWII? If we hadn't had the manufacturing capacity we did back then, we'd likely be responding to this thread in either German or Japanese.

Food for thought.

A "foreign perspective"

Be careful for what you wish for. American capitalism has delivered an economy unsurpassed in the history of the planet. As a rule open societies prosper, just look at the growth of India since it opened up.

If you want to put up the shutters to trade go ahead, but does that mean we can finally be rid of the McDonalds & truly awful Hollywood movies that have been exported for the last x No of years. It works both ways!

After being here for a few years it never ceases to amaze me how insulated Americans are from the realities of this world. (On my first work visit to Everett in 97 they showed us the system for bringing in 777 fuselage sections from China.) The work ethic of generations past has truly impressed me, to create this much in such a short time is an amazing feat that all Americans should be proud of. Unfortunately this has recently developed into an obsession with money & power that has corrupted many facets of society, the medical system, lawyers, sport, political processes & religion. And in the face of all these self-created problems, who do you blame - people who come here & do jobs Americans don't want. The immigration debate is a classic example, instead of looking at the real problems facing the US, find a diversion & spend $1.8 billion on a fence.

As for the made in the US bandwagon, don't even go there. Anybody looked at GM's product line recently? 52 models just in the domestic market, plus European & Australian models. If that isn't inefficient I don't know what is. The Japanese & Koreans make a fraction of the model range & sell them all over the world. Last time I heard it cost $67 an hour for a UAW worker. GM spends more on Blue Cross than steel. As Mich says jobs are changing because US companies are great at innovation. These same companies can't get the home grown talent they need & it's a global market for brains now. Unfortunately when you blame foreigners for your problems the clever ones get caught in the net. Have a look at any MBA graduation class & see how many are foreign. In fact the US university system has shown incredible growth in the last few years, a product of an open society. Recent ratings show the US has 28 of the top 30 Universities in the world.

It's a changing world & as Mich said, you adapt & that is the US's strength.

You want to get worried about something, worry about a $9 trillion debt & how your kids & grandkids are going to pay it off.

If you want an example of a lean world class sector, try experimental aviation, lots of small to medium sized companies doing what America does best. Oh & just to finish, add Oregon apples, which are truly fabulous.

Free Trade Argument: Interesting???

We live in a free trade world. Take France, no country in my mind represents a country that has kept trade barriers high. Guess whose economy has been mired in poor growth, high unemployment and domestic unrest. France does not produce enough jobs for everyone and their minorities are burning cars, breaking store windows because they want to work and there are not enough jobs for everyone. Odd as they only have a 35 hour work week. Bottomline: when your GNP is an anemic 1% per year, you are not going to be one of the largest economies for very long.

An interesting book I have been reading is The Rise of the Creative Class. In this book the author Richard Florida talks about where the US market is going and it is the best of times to be an entrepreneur. How small companies that are nimble in the market are where the action is. I look at Van's Aircraft, a small extremely creative manufacturer that takes flat sheets of aluminum and a little aluminum angle stock, a bunch of drawings and with the help of the "builder's sweat equity" it becomes the "dream machine".

My personal feelings is you can't prevent China from importing cheap tools. When I first got into this airplane building business, I oogled over DAn Checkoway's site and I was interested in his take on Harbor Freight tools. It is ok for some things and other applications you need the Souix stuff. Four times the cost but worth it. I agree, I use both and think most builders are practical in this way.

One final thought, one of the biggest outlay of dollars is for imported oil. Does anyone buy american when it comes to gasoline. I know it would be hard to tell as there is no way to know what is Texas crude vs Saudi Arabian Sweet. But Citgo is owned by the Venezulean government and if you are looking for a bad guy, Hugo Chavez is it.

Steve Anderson
RV 7A Finishing
Lafayette, La