mdredmond

Well Known Member
Guys -

I know I could find this with some Googling, but as always, it's easier to ask here :D

I know you can't take a PPL checkride in an RV, but can it be used for the IR or CPL checkrides?

-matt

mdredmond said:
Guys -

I know I could find this with some Googling, but as always, it's easier to ask here :D

I know you can't take a PPL checkride in an RV, but can it be used for the IR or CPL checkrides?

-matt
When I first started to answer, I felt that a check ride for a private certificate or instrument rating (properly equipped) in an experimental was clearly acceptable. But now I've fallen back to about 98% certain. Will have to do a little research.

But the question is whether or not a DPE or fed will ride in your RV from a personal safety/liability standpoint. To a lesser degree, there's the issue of compensating a DPE when riding in an experimental... but their fee is really unrelated to the use of the aircraft. Will probably be highly variable from FSDO to FSDO and examiner to examiner.

CFII/MEI

mdredmond said:
Guys -

-matt

I got my instrument check ride from an FAA examiner that works out of aurora just a few doors down from Van's. I told him he should walk down and take a demo ride some time. He said that he had actually given an examination in an RV a couple of times. Didn't say which plane or ticket.

Duane

Pvt Pilot and/or Instrument check rides may be taken in an experimental. When you pay a designee, you are paying for his services. The airplane has nothing to do with it. However whether or not he is willing to do this is totally at his discretion. I know several people who have done this.

Thanks guys. I seemed to remember a requirement that you provide an airplane with a Standard Airworthiness Certificate, but now after checking I see no such rule.

So it's a matter of finding a DPE that will do it...

Thanks again,

-matt

Mel said:
Pvt Pilot and/or Instrument check rides may be taken in an experimental. When you pay a designee, you are paying for his services. The airplane has nothing to do with it. However whether or not he is willing to do this is totally at his discretion. I know several people who have done this.

Mel is absolutely correct.

Call Ken Morris

Matt,

Call Ken and he will probably help you out. He just finished his PPL and also finished his 7A. He should be able to tell you someone in the DFW area.

Bruce Pauley
RV 7A
Rowlett TX

Mel said:
Mel is correct. The only thing I can add is that the regulations require DUAL controls and that means brakes, flight contorls, and engine / prop controls. If the examiner cannot work your throtle / mixture / prop, then you cannot use your experimental for a checkride. (other than maybe a BFR)