Wastah

I'm wondering if RV flyers in the New Mexico area can offer some advise/information on flying in the ABQ, Santa Fe areas? RV friendly airports? Advise for planning a fall trip in that area. Thanks for the help.

Wastah

Double Eagle in ABQ

Double Eagle (KAEG) just west of Albuquerque is where most RVs are stationed in the area. But there are plenty scattered at airports through out the area. Double Eagle is about 20 min from Albuquerque and 40 min from Santa Fe.

Post when your coming into town and I'll trade a car ride for an airplane ride. Mine is in pieces in a hanger there.

Sept/October is beautiful weather, LOE RV get together nearby and the Balloon festival.

I found SAF..

...Santa Fe to be quite friendly.

Usual higher Santa Fe prices...:) ...but they got an Enterprise rental with no problems and even gave us a jar of their own labeled salsa to take home.

Santa Fe is a nice place to visit.

Double Eagle (KAEG) just west of Albuquerque is where most RVs are stationed in the area. But there are plenty scattered at airports through out the area. Double Eagle is about 20 min from Albuquerque and 40 min from Santa Fe.

Post when your coming into town and I'll trade a car ride for an airplane ride. Mine is in pieces in a hanger there.

And that's a bargain, because cab fare from downtown ABQ to Double Eagle is ~$50, IIRC.

Santa Fe has a lot of stuff going on depending on when you come in. David Roe with an RV-8 and he previously had the hummel with the sawed off VW engine that has been in recent articles. EAA Chapter is Los Alamos/Santa Fe with some activity at both.

I think the chile is better here (Santa Fe) and Las Cruces then Albq but then I admit to being prejudiced...:D

I have no idea about over night fees though and yes everything is a little more expensive up here. I just wished salaries matched but that's another story:confused:...

Bob

Santa Fe is great and no tie down or over night fees. In a heavy rain storm I camped under a wing of a Connie. Just had to make sure there was no oil dripping from over head. Their salsa that they give out is very tasty.

Santa Fe Airport to Downtown

Santa Fe airport to the "Square" in Santa Fe is a 20 min drive. the airport in santa Fe is out in the boonies very comparable to Double Eagle in ABQ.

Pick Santa Fe or ABQ and its a 45 min easy drive or short flight between the two towns. Plus a very pretty flight near the Jamez mountains.

Makes the....

And that's a bargain, because cab fare from downtown ABQ to Double Eagle is ~$50, IIRC.

...$40 odd bucks for a days rental of an Enterprise car a good deal.

We found this in Las Cruces too... the cab fare was around $25 one way IIRC...

Sedona car rental at the airport is cheap. $10/hr max 3 hours. So $30/day is cheap. They don't ask you fill it up or charge you either if you only put a few miles on it. No hidden taxes or extra for insurance.

They're all good

I don't know what kind of visit you have planned but I have used the main airport at Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Los Alamos and they all handled my airplane just fine.

At the Cutter FBO at ABQ they wanted me to taxi up in front of the FBO, unload and let them tow the plane to parking. I told them there are no provisions for towing the airplane and I wanted to park it where it was going to stay. There was no problem at all - they directed me to the parking area on the west side of the FBO and from there on it was transient parking as usual. The great thing about this is the airport is reasonably close to the motels, rental cars and restaurants (on the other side of runway 8) and the FBO will deliver you to your motel or the terminal, etc.

I worked with the National Laboratory at Los Alamos on a project for several years and I made many business and personal trips to the area and I always found it an enchanting area justifying its "Land of Enchantment" title. Santa Fe and Los Alamos also have rental cars and they are more laid back than ABQ. The cars are within easy walking distance of the tiedowns. This is an area that needs to be explored in some detail and you really need a car to do it well.

Los Alamos has no control tower and the departing and arrival traffic are in opposing directions (land to the west depart to the east) so you have to get on frequency early and coordinate both operations carefully with other traffic. Cross winds there can be severe and the runway is built on a volcanic deposited finger of land with a drop off at the east end that makes Sedona look like child's play. You will be treated well in your RV no matter which airport you choose.

Bob Axsom

Last edited: