Don

Well Known Member
I like to fly and fly fish and one reason I started building an RV was to expand my fishing (and hunting) options. I'm based at KXSA just north of Richmond, VA and I'm wondering if anyone here knows of airports along the east coast where I could fly in and fish, and possibly camp and fish. When I was a grad student I used to do a lot of trout fishing in PA and I miss it. When I see photos from Idaho with lovely trout streams right next to grass strips, I can't help but wonder if the same thing exists here in the East.

The RV sure opens up the possibility of occasional trips west to fish but it would be great if there were places (or even a place) I could fly to in a couple of hours, get in a few hours of fishing and return home the same day. Adding the possibility of camping and fishing for a few days would be great. I want the fishing to be within a reasonable walk from the airport. Any ideas?

Gastons

Gastons White River Resort, has world class Trout Fishing in Arkansas. No camping, and not on the east coast,

Last edited:
Gastons

Wonderful place. Great restaurant with rental boats going up and down-stream catching trout. The runway is not more than 100yds from the restaurant and 130yds from the river. Not sure there is camping there. More family style fishing resort with 50's style cabins.
Not sure I would take my -A in to their runway however unless you are very familiar with so-so turf runways.

Last edited:
Tunkhannock and Mount Pocono

You might try KMPO (Pocono Mountains Municipal in PA) and 76N (Tunkhannock, PA). I grew up in a little town between these two airports. There are dozens of trout streams in the general area. The Susquehanna River runs right next to 76N. Plenty of room to cast a fly, but I'm not sure about trout in the river. And because I've never actually been to either airport myself (They're both on top of my destination list when I complete my 10) I can't say how long or hard a walk it would be to the nearest good stream. I bet if you called either airport they'd be able to let you know.

Last edited:
Jay, Tim, Gastons is on my bucket list. The problem is, it's about 5.5 hours away, so it isn't a trip I can make out and back in a day. Otoh, there's a lodge there where I can stay, which at my age is better than camping and who knows, maybe the wife would come.

Tim, Thanks - that's what I'm looking for. Both are about 90 minutes away. If you want to go up this spring, pm me a phone number or email address and I'll let you know when I can go up. Stopping at Warrenton isn't a problem, its right on the way.

Don