Bwing96

I think the RV bug has bitten. I have been lurking around here reading and learning as much as I can. Got my first ride and a little stick time Sunday thanks to Jim Skinner in Tx. He has a really nice 6. After much research I have decided I would like to have a 6 or 7 slider (no "A" for me) with a 180 hp. Lycoming.

Think I would like to get a little more time in one before I make the final decision and place my Cherokee on the market. I think getting out and burning holes in the sky would be a lot more fun in a RV than the Cherokee not to mention it would be much faster and just about as comfortable.

Now comes the hard part making up my mind.

I think you've already made the hard choice, and settled on a side by side, t/w, aerobatic RV with a Lycoming.

Now look for the best built plane that meets your mission and budget. It might be a 6 or it might be a 7. There is no need to exclude one or the other at this point in your search. I wouldn't toss out a tip-up either. I would have preferred a slider, but I'm still pretty happy with the tip-up RV6 I ended up with.

What worked for me was to get a few (about 5) hours of dual instruction in an RV before deciding to buy or build one. I reasoned that on the remote chance I didn't buy or build an RV, at least it would be worth the flight experience. Also, assuming you do buy or build one you'll probably need the transition training for insurance.

my $0.02

I think you are right, the dual instruction is probably just what I need to put the icing on the cake. I mostly fly solo and only once in the last 2 yrs. have I had more than 1 passenger in the Cherokee so I think I can get by with just 2 seats instead of 4. I don't do long x-countries. Most are less than 2.5-3 hrs. (would be even less in a RV). Would like to stay above 170 mph.

I wouldn't completely rule one out for being a tipper rather than a slider if evrything else is what I;m looking for. I know the only way to get one exactly the way you want is to build it. I really don't have the time or desire to take on a project of that size at this time. Since my SO does accompany me it will need to be side by side and I operate off a grass strip and love to fly tail draggers so it will have to be a TW.

Former Cherokee owner here too....

Once you've tasted flying the RVs, the poor old Cherokee just can't compare. However, there are still times I really miss mine... like when I want to haul a couple of passengers on a breakfast or BBQ lunch flight... and when it's super cold outside, I miss that shoe-melting blast furnace of a heater my old Cherokee had. The RV-6's heater only works when the OAT is at least 50 deg F and the sun is shining thru the canopy :p

But when flying cross country by myself, I sure don't miss it. The old Cherokee would give me 125 mph on 9 gph. The RV-6 will give me 195 mph on the same fuel burn, but if I throttle back to 2100 rpm, I can still go 140-145 mph on about 5.3 gph :D.

Now to find someone and get some instruction before I sell my Cherokee.
I want to find the right RV and have everything lined up so I'm not without a plane very long. I surely don't want to sell mine and then can't find what I'm looking for and be without or settle for something I really don't want. I do know someone looking to buy a plane and they are interested in my Cherokee.So nowI have to get a move on.

If you have a buyer for the Cherokee.....sell it.

You get the right RV when it comes along. Patience grasshopper.