2 die in rv-7 crash near elim alaska

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/aviation/story/826731.html

Two people are dead after an amateur-built airplane crashed near Elim, according to federal aviation officials.

The two individuals, who were not immediately identified, were discovered with the wreckage of the RV-7, officials said.

The aircraft, based in Brookings, Ore., departed Galena at about 4 p.m. Tuesday on its way to Nome but never showed up when it should have a few hours later, according to federal aviation officials.

The Rescue Coordination Center had been searching for the craft since it went missing. Wednesday evening, the aircraft was found to have crashed east of Bald Head Mountain near Elim, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

There was no immediate indication of what caused the wreck. Federal aviation officials are investigating.

Oh man, I was hoping there was some mistake. It's hard to accept that these wonderful machines can be involved with such a horrible event. I don't think much about the real possibility of a serious crash - I think most of us brush it off to one degree or another - until we're forced to stare in in the face.

Our prayers are with the surviving family and friends. Everyone, please be safe out there.

FAA N-Number Database Says

the only RV-7 in Brookings Oregon is N303BK registered to Bruce Harden.
:(

Locations and WX

There was information posted on another thread about this accident. I checked the locations of the accident site and weather reporting station, and thought I would pass the information on to the group.
The accident happened near Elim, AK (PFEL) which is 82 nm east of the flights destination, Nome (PAOM). The flight had departed Galena (PAGA) for Nome which is 219 nm west.

The reported wx observation included in the FAA posting was for Golovin, AK (19.4 west of Elim):
WEATHER: METAR PAGL 100256Z AUTO 16007KT 5SM OVC003 04/03 A3011

I am sure that some of you knew this gentleman, my thoughts and prayers go to his friends and family.