prkaye

Well Known Member
My impression is that a majority of RV builders have no children (for the obvious reason that, so I am told, people with children have no free time).
That ratio will change at the end of March.
For any of you builders with babies... any tips to increase the odds of project survivability once the baby comes along?
Of course this means I have a co-pilot in the making :)
Off to buy airplane toys! I wonder if Fisher Price makes rivet guns?

My impression is that a majority of RV builders have no children (for the obvious reason that, so I am told, people with children have no free time).
For any of you builders with babies... any tips to increase the odds of project survivability once the baby comes along?
Off to buy airplane toys! I wonder if Fisher Price makes rivet guns?

this will be kind like joining the ARMY once your in your in. if you are a man thats gonna carry your share of the load i would suspect the build comes to a snails pace for a while. after the baby is integrated to your life style you will soon better manage your time and be back to building. I will say pay attention, before you know it the baby is grown up and you'll wish you could go back and trade build time for time with the now grown child.

"the only thing that ever made sense to me,

was the sound of my little boy laughing,

through the window on a summer night."
EVERCLEAR

Somewhere I have a picture of my little guy, about 6 weeks old, strapped into the carrier on the workbench while I did some de-burring.

Actually, the biggest thing that worked for us was a Saturday-Nanny. It adds to the overall costs, but allows you some build time and the wife some time to do her things. You'll need the sanity breaks! :D I had started the wings about the time Alex came around, and it took another year and a half to finish the wings.

My boy is now 5 1/2, and it took 6 years on the RV, and both seemed to have turned out great, at least for now. The overall goal was to finish the RV about the time Alex was ready for his first ride, which worked out. I'm also done before the real time consumers of sports/ scouts/ etc really kick in.

Last edited:
Sure they can!

RV builders can have kids!

Here is mine and a couple of me and them doing rolls and loops. I was about 45 lbs heavier then! :eek:

Number three is on its way and just found out today that it is another girl! There won't be a number four!

My only regret is not being able to afford an RV10!

DSCN5579.jpg

DSCN5732.jpg

DSCN5723.jpg

DSCN5731-1.jpg

I would not have it any other way! I can't imagine life without my kids. I never would have believed that before I had them!

It just takes balance......and an understanding wife. You will not be Mr. Mom and get away with it unless you are willing for it to take 20 years. But a nice balance and it can work as long as she is on-board with it.

Whatever you do, realize that there will be times when you need to stop ignoring the family and spend time with them.

Get them involved as much as possible when they are old enough. This helps!

Last edited:
As a child of an RV pilot, here's my suggestion.

Take them flying. Ask them easy questions like: "How high are we now?" or "Are we going up and down." They'll love figuring it out (if they're anything like normal). Of course, as they grow, adjust the questions accordingly, but if they think they are flying the plane, they'll love it!

I bought my kit a year ago--my kids today are 7, 4 1/2 and 3 1/2. I don't spend a lot of time working on it when they're around/awake because I'd rather spend time hanging out with them. About 2 years ago we tore out our basement and refinished it--I didn't do everything, but did a lot. It was easier for me to work on the house after everyone was asleep--same is true with the RV. I put the kids to bed (much easier now that it's getting dark earlier), turn on the baby monitor and head for the garage. My wife works nights 3 times per week which also helps.

So I'm sure the project it's much slower than if I didn't have a spouse or kids (due to both limited time and money) but I'm also sure it's a lot more fun watching them take an interest in it.

Mike

Or you can do like my dad... get them interested in aviation and then get smart and change your own interest so that they are the suckers who spend the TON of money! :D Thanks Dad!! :rolleyes: You'll get the first ride when the plane is done!

Congratulations, dad:D

RV Builders with kids

Unlike most of the other responders, my kids are grown. My kids spent many an hour asleep with Dad as Pilot in command of one of many of our certified airplanes. After they grew up and didn't fly with mom and I very often I sold my C-182 and bought an RV-6A (after one of those $50,000.00 free RV rides).

Partly because of my kids complaiing that the RV-6A wasn't big enough to carry the whole family I became a builder. Both girls helped a little with the airplane building, enough so they can brag. Now I am a repeat builder and wouldn't trade my RV for any certified airplane on the market.

My worst fear is that one day I won't be able to pass my flight physical. I currently take a pre-physical by my MD (also my flight surgeon) two weeks before I take a flight physical. I don't ever intend to fail, expire maybe but not fail.

Get your kids involved in the building process even if it is little more than helping pick up things off the floor and handing you tools. The time spent with the kids and building is a wonderful experience. Encourge your kids when they get bigger to bring their friends around. Your kids eyes will light up when they hear their friends talk about you building your own airplane.

With little kids, you have to clean up all your tools at the end of build session and put all fragile parts up on a shelf - or risk them being destroyed while your at work.

I'm not building an RV yet but this has been my experience with RC planes...

All this talk of building with kids and toddlers! I'm talking about a Baby... I hope I at least get close to finishing before he/she starts walking and talking!
Current status - engine arriving in a couple of months, canopy skirts almost done...

Kids will need your time and attention, so get used to the fact that you will spend less time with the plane project. That just comes with the territory.

You will still have the plane of your dreams before you retire. You can start the kids off right, on the path to homebuilding and flying. And if you are really slow like me, you will see the great sense of pride in your son (or daughter) when he was able to help for the first time.:)

Explanation: Just yesterday my 4 yr old son proudly climbed all the way into the far rear of the fuselage and tie wrapped the magnatometer wire harness and tail lighting wire runs. He was so proud and happy, it was one of those priceless father moments. Have 4yr old twins, girl and boy and started the plane 10 yrs ago.

All this talk of building with kids and toddlers! I'm talking about a Baby... I hope I at least get close to finishing before he/she starts walking and talking!
Current status - engine arriving in a couple of months, canopy skirts almost done...

It is easy with a baby. All they do is eat, sleep and ****. When they are sleeping go to work on the plane. All you have to do is bring the baby monitor. Get the one with the video so you can watch and listen. When they become mobile is when the trouble starts. Mine started early and was walking by nine months. Not good! Work at night and in the morning. Oh yeah! Forget about sleep for six months! My youngest is now 11 months old. Keep the plane at home as long as you can....Many new mothers tend to get annoyed when you leave the house.

...Explanation: Just yesterday my 4 yr old son proudly climbed all the way into the far rear of the fuselage and tie wrapped the magnatometer wire harness and tail lighting wire runs. He was so proud and happy, it was one of those priceless father moments. Have 4yr old twins, girl and boy and started the plane 10 yrs ago.
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Buying toys for the baby or stock in Fisher Price won't help. You're buying toys for the wrong person. Your wife will require lots of toys!:D

My kids are 28, 28, 31 years old. Didn't have time or $ for flying when I was raising them. Now that they are gone I've noticed that the "change jar" fills up alot faster, both metephorically and in reality. ;)

I'm taking the 7 year old grand daughter flying this weekend. You never stop raising kids, they just keep coming! :eek:

For those of you working on a plane and raising kids. When you are old & gray and the kids are gone, you'll never say; "I wish I spent more time working." Take the time to spend with your kids. They will be gone sooner than you realize. There is plenty of time for building planes and flying when they are gone.

I started my project with only the wife me and a dog. Now I have 2 girls 3.5 and 1 yr old. Its true no way around it the project slows down, but it does not have to stop, mine has along the way, back at it again though.
I know you wont believe it but they really do grow up fast. Before you know it they are helping. I just had my proud daddy moment about 3 nights ago.
I was putting in the brake line bulk head fitting near the gear legs. My 3 yr old was not able to hold it still with her hand so I got her a wrench to hold it with. I went back inside the cockpit and turned the nut in the gear tower, she slipped off and without any help from me she says "wait a min dad" I feel her back on the fitting and away we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats just as good as my wife helping!!!!!!!!!
Those of you with kids know what Im talking about or you will.

I've mentioned this before but I build while everyone (wife included) is sleeping that way it is never a problem. I have the baby monitor in the shop and start every morning at 4am and when they wake up, I come in. This has worked very well for me and I seldom ever miss soccer games, swimming, dance class, etc. You will also find there is never anything going on that early, no company, no birthday parties, no meetings, nothing. If you can get out of bed you will be suprised how much you can get done. When I started this project I was hoping I could get 200 hours a year but have averaged 1000. There are some Saturdays here and there when I need help riveting or something and the wife usually says "No Problem".

I have two kids 12.5 and 8, boy and a girl. I started this RV-8 eight years ago and I am still only mid way through the wings. Do I mind? Heck no! I wouldn't miss doing things with the kids for anything. The kids are very active in sports, scouting, music lessons, ..you name it. Plus, as a family, we do lots of camping and other types of family outings and trips. The stuff childrens' memories are made of!! Who am I to deprive my kids of that!

I find it virtually impossible to get any RV work done during the summer, but once school's back in session....Halleluyah!!

The tail feathers were almost entirely built after 9:00pm. The older I get, the less willing to build post 9:00pm. Once the kids are on the bus in the mornings, then I can devote some meaningful time to my passion!

Now my son is now old enough to learn to buck rivets with me,...if I can manage to squeeze into his busy schedule! My daughter already likes to come down and help deburr pieces of aluminum.

Nope! ....wouldn't change a thing! Enjoy them and you'll find time to work on the plane at some point. Just don't set some artificial timeline for completion and you'll get there.

Before I started this project, I shared a hangar with a guy (with now grown kids) who built his RV-4 over the course of 14 yrs. I didn't understand it then, but I certainly do now.

Rivet Placers

Paul - Congrats! The kids helped build it, and they help fly it now.

I built most of the plane in the detached garage from 9pm-1am, after family time, baseball, basketball, scouts. If there is a will, there is a way.

Kate and Megan at work:
Kate%20and%20Meg%20Rivet.JPG

Build slow down with kids.

Here is how mine helped, I didn't seem to mind though, he just started college and my younger one is 15, just landed the Cheetah with out any help.

TaylorDad.jpg

4am??

start every morning at 4am

Whao - i haven't been up that early since I was in the Army! What time do you go to bed?? I become useless without 8 hours of sleep a night. Can this be trained??

First of all, if you have young kids, don't even try to build a plane if you can't work at home.

I worked in the shop after the kid's bedtime quite a bit. Other times the girls would come out into the workshop and hang out. They had a little plastic table and chairs with a load of Crayolas and paper. They'd sit there for 30 minutes or so at a time just coloring and talking to me. I just wish I'd taken more pictures and videos of them hanging out with me.

Sometimes I'd let them play with some of the (safer) tools. Don't know how many scrap 2x4s were drilled randomly with the cordless drill. I also had some of my tools labelled with magic marker "daddy's tool". As a matter of fact, the other day at the hangar my youngest daughter asked who labelled a small cardboard box that was in my tool chest. Told her she did!

If I had it to do again, I'd buy a built plane. But that doesn't mean I have serious regrets about the time spent out in the shop.

I am a very proud stay at home dad with 2.5 kids(john is due on Christmas eve). I do have difficulty finding time to work on the airplane. Mostly due to my wifes long hours at work. She is a captain in the air force so if uncle sam says to work, you work. However I think its totally possible to be a family man as well as a builder. Early hours work better for me than late hours. You just have to figure out what works for you and your family. Granted it might take a while to get adjusted to the new munchkin, but you can do it.

Whao - i haven't been up that early since I was in the Army! What time do you go to bed?? I become useless without 8 hours of sleep a night. Can this be trained??

Usually go to bed at 9pm. If that sounds too early, it won't in a week or so of getting up at 4.:)

My wife is a captain for a major airline Airbus 320. She is gone monday thru Friday, we have a 2 year old and a 4 year old (boys) I have to build on the weekends and still try to leave time for the wife. Its not easy!!!!! just don't give up on your dream of having your own RV. I did, if i would have just worked on the weekends I would be alot further along. Keep working on it every rivet is one rivet closer to that first flight.

you say you haven't been up that early since the army....... 0400 Just wait till the baby gets there. You can head out to the shop just after the diaper change and the bottle, you will already be wide awake ............ Mom has to sleep some time (Welcome to your new job)