Rolly9

Today, while at Don Swords' hangar in Griffin, Ga., to get some info about my engine, I noticed that all (4 or 5) RVs under construction were not using piano hinges to attach the cowling. They were using 1/16th by 1 3/4 Alum strips with these really neat twist lock fasteners. They were made by Skybolt in Florida.
Has anyone had any experience with these things. They look great. But they are not cheap!?
Rolly Clark
RV-9 FWF

Skybolt fasteners

I have them on my RV-6A and love them. No hinges on my cowling.

These are camlocs. There are a lot of people here using them. Somebody organized a group buy on them a few months ago and got 30% off for everybody who ordered. I think there were something like 80 people who participated. However, they went with Milspec instead of Skybolt. They're apparently identical in quality. In fact, I think Milspec made camlocs for Skybolt for a while.

Search

Use this web forum to do a SEARCH for Camlocs and skybolts.

There is a number of posts with all you need to know.
Pete.

I tried to use the adjustable camloc from skybolt but they kept breaking ( the G clip broke on the back). You can't just order a new clip, you need to order the hole camloc. I tried letting other people put them on to see if they had the same problem that I was having, which they did. I returned all the adjustable locs and went with standard camlocs.

stormy :eek:

Stock with a few mods.

Here is a good link:

http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Cowl.htm#Cowl fasteners

I like the pins myself. On change I made was on the lower cowl, side along the firewall, I use an extruded hinge. on my RV-4 for the top cowl along the firewall I used nut plates, flush screws and tinnerman washers.

On my current project, RV-7 I may go, with cam locs along the top cowl firewall but the screws/nutplates are cheap and work well. The extra minute to take the screws out is not big deal. G

I think I'm planning on hinges for the bottom cowl and camlocks for the top to firewall and top to bottom.