billpilot1

Getting ready to have my RV7a inspected tomorrow!!!! after 6 years of building. Just wanted some advice on a canopy cover. I see there are some lighter ones but wondering if they do a good job on keeping the weather out. Are the Van ones good. I have seen other ones, not sure where, but I realy don't want to have to duct tape my tip up canoy if it is going to rain!!!!
Thank you for your comments!
What a great Board!

I'm very pleased with my cover from Cunningham Covers for my -7A. It's withstood a couple of Oshkosh downpours without any leaks. It also has a microfiber liner that has not produced any scratches. I think it's a heavier weight and I take it along on trips. The plane never sits without the cover on, even when in the hanger. That's maybe a little overkill, but I'd rather have the birds or other animals leave their evidence on the cover rather than the canopy.

Mike

I got my Bruce's Custom Cover at the Arlington show last year, and like it so far. Fits great. He had a show discount going.

Dave

My aircraft is an -8 and I use Van's cover. I am very satisfied with it. It's been through some Oshkosh downpours (4 inches one night) and kept everything dry. It dries itself out quickly as well and is lightweight. I also like the number and position of tie down belts. I looked at Bruce's, which appears to be good quality (I love his cowling plugs), but didn't like where the attachment belts were placed.

Chris

I Have a Bruces Custom Cover

These are important security blankets as well as weather & sun shields. If you have the canopy covered, the bystander curiosity level goes way down - you don't want people leaning over or climbing up on your wing to look inside. We bought the cover before the plane was finished and it goes on when the plane is outside every time we leave it. It was custom made for our airplane still looks like new and has not caused any damage to the canopy or paint. I have no experience with any other canopy cover but I have had car covers that ruined the clear coat finish.

Bob Axsom

Issue w/ Van's Cover

I was tied down at KFAY last week and overnight there were some very high winds. When I came back in the AM the cover had migrated up about 2/3 the height of the canopy on the windward side. Maybe tying the straps tighter would have prevented this, but not sure. No complaints about the material.

Getting ready to have my RV7a inspected tomorrow!!!! after 6 years of building. Just wanted some advice on a canopy cover. I see there are some lighter ones but wondering if they do a good job on keeping the weather out. Are the Van ones good. I have seen other ones, not sure where, but I realy don't want to have to duct tape my tip up canoy if it is going to rain!!!!
Thank you for your comments!
What a great Board!

sent you a pm.

Marshall Alexander

RV Cover

Bought my cover from Vans 2 years ago. Fits perfectly. Dries quickly after being wet. Perfectly satisfied with it.

Keith
RV9A
N355RV

I can't say for sure that I have seen a Van's cover - Louise has a lightweight cover for her -6 that came with the plane that doesn't really keep the rain out. I personally am sold on Bruce's covers - I had heard great things about them for years from folks in the Grumman world, and decided that when I needed one for my pride and joy RV, that's what I'd get - and I am not disappointed! Fits very well, doesn't move in the wind, sturdy construction, and soft on the Plexiglas. I figured I spent $100K on the airplane - why not go an extra $100 (above a less expensive cover) to protect it properly when it is outside? And now Louise has one for her -6 as well.....

Let me say again though - I am not commenting on the Van's covers - I haven't used one...I'm just answering the part of the OP's question "any other advice?"

Paul