n5lp

fugio ergo sum
Ok, I am digging the series "Flying Wild Alaska" (you have to subtract out the normal reality series hyperbole) but they aren't using any RVs. Tonight, for the first time I noticed the fenders they use on a lot of the airplanes.

You know how it is in your RV. Because of mud or snow you don't want to use wheel pants sometimes but you know your wing is going to get beat up if you go bare-tire. Maybe they know something with all the gravel/ice/snow operations they do. The fenders are kind of an L shaped deal that that extends back from around the center point of the tire then makes a right angle straight down. Wouldn't be too hard to adapt to an RV.

Pants1.jpg

Pants2.jpg

Oh, the videography is pretty spectacular, but that is another subject.

05-flying-wild-alaska-photos.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the same thing tonight, mentioned them to my wife.

Best guess-----prevent damage to the tail from gravel/rocks that they use for runways up there.

I agree about the videography. Well done. I especially enjoyed the crosswind landing sequences. :eek:

gravel gaurds

Aero Twin holds the STC for the gravel gaurds that go on both the Caravan and Sled (C 207). They help, but somerocks still get past and bang up the flap and tail. Durring mud season our planes slill get the Y-K Delta mud brown stripe on the lower inboard wing of the sleds.
For photos of maintenance wild Alaska, P.M. me.

Last edited: