flyeyes

Well Known Member
I thought I'd share an experience I had today after a small in flight problem.

I was returning home from brief vacation on the gulf coast, and noticed that my RV-8 was climbing a little sluggishly, and the EGTs were higher than I was used to seeing. A quick mag check at altitude confirmed that, althought the flight down and runup had been perfect, my right ignition wasn't functioning.

Annoyed, I diverted to montogomery, AL and landed, but realized that I didn't have my normal bag of tools and spares (I haven't needed them on the road in over 100 hours).

The FBO in Montgomery had an internet connection, and I searched the RV white pages for a builder in montgomery who might be available and have tools. The first person I called, Neal George, was an RV-7 builder and A&P who dropped what he was doing and showed up in about 10 minutes with tools. 30 minutes later I was good to go.

This turned what would have been a nightmare trip (renting a car for a 6 hour drive home) into a minor blip. It was the first trip my wife had taken with me in the RV, so I was particularly eager to make a good impression. She came away soundly impressed by the community of RV builders.

Below is a picture of Neal trying on the RV-8 for size after we ran it up and recowled it:

Thanks Neal, and I hope to return the favor or pass it on someday..

James Freeman
RV-8 safely back in Memphis

Great write-up, James. I nominate Neal George for the VAF volunteer of the month! Do we have one of those? No? Well, we should <g>.

b,
d

After one of my fuel caps broke I decided to buy two and keep the spare in my flightbag, along side the ducktape!

BR

It's threads like these that really confirm we've made the right chice in building an RV!
My thanks & sincerest appreciation to all you "unsung hero's"!!

Lorin D
9A Wings - Tanks
(N194LD reserved)

Great Story

Like others have mentioned this is a great group of people. I'm involved in a lot of stuff from competitive RC in Giant Scale Aerobatics and sailplanes to umpiring baseball up to the college level. There simply is no other community of people stronger and more friendly than RVer's. The umpiring is a distant second. From tools, a place to stay or a third hand with something, ask an RVer and you'll probably get more help that you need.

Can't wait till Oshkosh to meet more of the people I've met on the various sites frequented by RVers.

Great subject and I'm glad it worked out for you on your trip.