blbills

I'm New Here
Hi all!

This is my first post on the forums. Recently acquired a very nice RV-4 and I'm absolutely loving it.

Want to upgrade from the D100 to a Skyview over the winter and was hoping for some suggestions on reading the fuel level.

I imagine that capacitive fuel sensors are the way to go but wondering how much of a pain it's going to be to install them when the airplane is already built. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

I wouldn't do it...

It would be very difficult to retrofit capacitive sensors as they are two plates that mount next to the ribs in the tanks. You would have to open up the entire aft baffle to get access. I don't think it would be worth the effort and having to re-seal the tanks would be painful. If your regular float type are working there isn't a compelling reason to change. Even if they aren't working, replacing the float type would be much easier.

Welcome to the VAF community! You will find very knowledgable, helpful folks here(Most with much more knowledge than me!)

Last edited:
Bruce,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, my standard float type sensors aren't worth beans. I was really hoping for an accurate method of reading the fuel level on the skyview.

Any other suggestions?

Has anyone attempted to install capacitive sensors on a finished RV? Am I crazy for even thinking about it?

One thing to keep in mind about capacitive fuel sensors is that they are very dependent on the type of fuel. If all you ever use is 100LL, not an issue. For people who might sometimes use mogas and sometimes 100LL, capacitive sensors are of little use, as the readings will vary greatly.