rotoiti

Well Known Member
I have trouble locating a (good) post on things that need to be done before buying a used RV. Google insists on showing me Recreational Vehicles (sigh, need to get them to fix that), local forum search brings a lot of checklist items but not a buyers' checklist.

I read Vans brochure, it's helpful but it seems too generic somehow.

Please help assembling a buyer's checklist. Here's what I get on mine:

Prepare myself:
- transition training
- high performance endorsement (RV-10)
- cash / loan
- license, medical, bfr

Prepare the airplane:
- hire a great mechanic for a thorough pre-buy
- check the airplane, engine and propeller logs
- airworthiness, registration, operating limitations, w&b, operator's handbook
- get the insurance going

Prepare the transaction:
- ensure the funds are available
- print at least two copies of form AC8050-2
- have a hard copy of form AC8050-1

There must be at least a thousand items I am forgetting to mention!

Your post suggests you may be a low time pilot(??). If so, move talking to an insurance agent to the top of the list. If you are interested in a -10 but have less than about 200 hours, be prepared to be shocked. I can recommend Nationair.

I would replace "a great mechanic" with "someone very familiar with RV-10's". There are many good mechanics with no RV experience.

My RV-10 is not for sale, but I'd be happy to show it to you, point out a few things to look at specific to -10's. I'm at KLVK.

Bob

Part of the purchase process is determining why he seller is really selling, too. "If it's as great of a plane as you say it is, why would you sell it?" There's no right answer, but there are wrong answers.

Getting the history of the build (searching VAF archives), flight testing, engine (if not new), etc is a big help to determine if any scary things were posted before the seller decided to sell. Also, looking for periods of inactivity is important, especially for parts that can rust, like the engine.

Most of this fits within your existing list.