Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
Well, finally, after many years of wanting to build an RV, I am now a builder. When I wanted to order the kit, it was real. When I ordered the kit it was real. But it never really hit home, until I was headed home from the Fed-Ex terminal in Parsons, KS, with an RV 4 emp. in the bed of my truck. It was then that I realized, that I indeed had real pieces for a real airplane, in my truck. with a friend, inventory took only 30 minutes, and everything was there. I have spent all evening shaping the HS 409 stiffeners to make the spar. WOOHOO! this is real!

As I am one of thos 'computer guys' I plan on building a web page, and basically having my builders log on it. I have already taken a few pictures today, and will update progress on the site.

I am excited to be a part of the builders group.

Gregg Brightwell
RV-4 emp.

Gregg

Ain't it great! Each step new things learned. Each problem solved, "victory"!! Questions answered new friendships developed!!! Locals giving help happiness for sure!!!! Decisions made one step closer to the RV Grin!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the family and go pound them rivets.

Frank @ SGu RV7A "NDY"

Welcome!

Gregg, welcome!

I would be interested to know what your build number is? Mine is #4478 ordered in August '05, that is 20 months ago. I sense very few kits are being ordered these days for the -4. They dont know what they are missing.

Have fun!

Yes

Welcome indeed!!,
My 6 is built and we have 219 hours on it in 16 months and it keeps getting better. Now my buddy is finishing up his -4 in my hangar and it's a lot of fun seeing another one go together and helping.

It takes thousands of pieces to build a house or an airplane. One day the parts bins will be empty, held together by a gazillion rivets and you'll say, "Whats left?" We'll say, "GO fly it now!!"

Enjoy the trip, we're rootin' for ya.

Excellent Gregg

It is just indescribable. Just work on it a lot, play a little, over and over, than one day, you'll be amazed. Many moments stick out in my mind, but that first piece is aways special.

Steve Sampson said:
Gregg, welcome!

I would be interested to know what your build number is? Mine is #4478 ordered in August '05, that is 20 months ago. I sense very few kits are being ordered these days for the -4. They dont know what they are missing.

Have fun!

Steve, I'm 4463 and I ordered Dec. 30th '04. There was an thread ealier this month showing the amount of kits van has sold per type and the -4 was almost up to 4600. I bet alot of those end up being rockets. Just a thought.

Thanks for the encouragement fellas!

Steve,

I am rv4 builder number 4518.

I completed the HS 409's today, got them to where they would fit inside the HS 403 radius. No power tools, just a 8" vixen and sandpaper. :)

Tomorrow night, EAA meeting, then hopefully drilling the pilot holes in the 409's.

Gregg

FYI- cutproof gloves are AWESOME when sanding.

One caution...

Gregg,
Be careful drilling the holes that attach the middle rib to the rear spar. Those flange strips in the spar taper and there's one rib where it's easy to lose the edge distance. Sorry, I don't remember the part numbers.

John who has 2 rear spars for the HS :-(.

planedriver26 said:
Well, finally, after many years of wanting to build an RV, I am now a builder. I am excited to be a part of the builders group.

Gregg Brightwell
RV-4 emp.

Gregg,
Your post is very infectious - thanks for sharing your enthusiasm. I recieved my wing kit last week and feel the same way as you. My emp hung half finished since 1984 (#299) until I just recently completed it and am now fully reanimated on building. The time is right, this time! I may even "computer up" and start a website for my builder's log, too!
I look forward to seeing and hearing about your progress!

Steve Sampson said:
Gregg, welcome!

Have fun!

Steve, I'm builder number 4487. I ordered my wings/tail in October '05 and they were delivered in Jan '06. Given our numbers, only 9 kits were sold in 2-3 months. Yes, the -4 is more challenging to build, but I think it is the prettiest and best flying of all RV's! I think if Van's made a matched hole -4, it would sell very well.

Bryan

Kit # 3455

Bryan
When I saw your name I said that name sounds familiar. You and Ray Cutrer (sp) were the original owners of my kit 3455. You will be glad to know that I finished your project after about 2-1/2 years and now have over 500 hours on 345SL. What a great airplane. Are you building or flying?

lhawkins said:
Bryan
When I saw your name I said that name sounds familiar. You and Ray Cutrer (sp) were the original owners of my kit 3455. You will be glad to know that I finished your project after about 2-1/2 years and now have over 500 hours on 345SL. What a great airplane. Are you building or flying?

BOTH!!! I am building another -4 now (all mine!), but since then I have helped in the construction of 2 -6's and an -8. I am a CFII, so I get to stay "current
:D " in all the other RV's. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!

You made my day. I've often wondered if you finished it. That kit traded hands a few times, if I remember correctly, before you got it. A little thing called "life" (actually a wife) slowed Ray down, but he has another plane now (Kitfox) that he keeps at home, but will own another RV soon.

Call me any time at 985-351-5655. I would love to hear about performance numbers, engine, prop, etc.

Take care, Bryan