n5lp

fugio ergo sum
This is old news to we Carlsbad locals but CNN picked it up yesterday for some reason. The tone is unduly alarmist in my opinion.

It may be of some interest that all five of the aerial photos used were taken from my little made-in-a-garage RV airplane. Starting the day of the event I did volunteer flights for the local emergency coordinator and for the National Cave and Karst Research Institute which appears to be the source of the photos here. For a while I was flying every few weeks for NCKRI to document the changes in this particular sinkhole.

Mitigation ideas are being studied. If the cavity does collapse before that can be done there will almost surely be adequate warning to prevent loss of life. It would have a large economic impact though.

CNN Story

In the service of science

The best way to see these emerging sinkholes is from the air. Carlsbad is lucky to have you available. I love seeing a resistivity profile on the TV news! Good on CNN.

CNN by their nature is alarmist - the job of the media is to sell fear. It's what they do.