Christopher Murphy

Well Known Member
Some years ago I saw a guy on the airshow circuit doing a routine with his Long EZ. I know Van used to do a routine ocassionally. Is there anyone out there doing an Air Show in the RV(4,6,7,8)? Would you rather see one of those gyroscopic out of control routines, or a well flown basic routine in the RV?

I know when I was building I just wanted to see an RV flying.

RV at show would be great

I like watching all kinds of planes flying at air shows but there always seems to be enough of the "gyroscopic out of control routines" (which is a very good discription). I would like to see any plane flown skillfully through a routine that is not specifically made for aerobatics especially a RV. I always enjoy the odd Cub or Steerman flying a very basic routine that shows the limits of the design. A RV would be a really good show.

I always enjoy the odd Cub or Steerman flying a very basic routine that shows the limits of the design. A RV would be a really good show.

Years ago when Van flew his RV-4 in airshows he usually did one manuver that I still have never seen anyone else do...It was a loop within a loop.
He did a great big low G loop with a tight little inside loop at the top.

Loop in a loop

Hey, Scott. Hope all is well there. Van did the loop in a loop at the Copperstate fly-in when it was at Williams Gateway in a RV8.

Don P.

Low and Slow

I always enjoy the odd Cub or Steerman flying a very basic routine that shows the limits of the design.

In Northern California we have the Jelly Belly jelly bean company that sponsors a couple planes. The big show is the P-51 but their Cub (?) launches and lands on a platform on a truck and puts on the lowest, slowest, sweetest aerobatic routine I've ever seen. It is a beautiful ballet of constant motion and is very impressive.

I've been to alot of air shows. Seen alot of performances, all are impressive, but there are two that stand out. A glider, the most graceful performance I have ever seen, and the jet powered Waco, (?) the most powerful thing I have ever seen. Both are still fresh in my mind.

There is a fleet of 4 RV-3's that run on 100% ethanol that are based in Tea, SD. They are impressive to watch also.

Last edited:
Hey, Scott. Hope all is well there. Van did the loop in a loop at the Copperstate fly-in when it was at Williams Gateway in a RV8.

Don P.

Hey Don, we're great, how are you guys.

Van only did shows for one year in an RV-8 then retired his low level waver.
I didn't remember him doing the loop in loop in it, but I suppose he would do the same routine.
I do remember being at Copperstate that year; when at least one of the days he flew his show it was 102 degrees F. on the ground.

We're coming to Arizona for Christmas...hope you don't have any of those 100+ days while we're there.

Groucho does..

Is there anyone out there doing an Air Show in the RV(4,6,7,8)? Would you rather see one of those gyroscopic out of control routines, or a well flown basic routine in the RV?

....as good as you please, views from within as well. The beauty of RV aerobatics is the fact that they don't need to trade altitude for airspeed like Cubs and Stearmans. They loop from cruise and roll effortlessly. If you've had the opportunity to watch Kahuna's vertical performance in the Super 8, you'll agree that it's incredible.

Regards,

One of my favorite peformances is Pat Epps in his V-Tail Bonanza. Smooth, quiet and awe inspiring.

I'd like to learn to fly as smooth as he can.

Hoover

How about Hoover in the Shrike.

Jimmy Franklin was pretty impressive too/ with or without the jet engine.

One of my favorites was Corky Fornoff in the BD jet.

Red Devils/ Eagles

No gyroscopics just great flying skills.

Hey Don, we're great, how are you guys.

Van only did shows for one year in an RV-8 then retired his low level waver.
I didn't remember him doing the loop in loop in it, but I suppose he would do the same routine.
I do remember being at Copperstate that year; when at least one of the days he flew his show it was 102 degrees F. on the ground.

We're coming to Arizona for Christmas...hope you don't have any of those 100+ days while we're there.

That 102* F is why Van quit coming to AZ I think! It's a little chilly with highs in the 60s now. I was in the snow at Four Peaks Wednesday.
I got my 25 years in and retired early from PHX Tower May 31. Enjoying life and feeling blessed.