tectweaker

Well Known Member
Does anybody have any documentation or reference on doing aerobatics in RV series planes?

I have a single space plane so can't get instruction in it and have gotten most of my acro instruction in Decathlons and Extra 200's.

I am fairly comfortable with the plane. However, I am looking to get more insights on things that might be interesting from an RV perspective.

So you have an RV-3? I assume you're familiar with the history of the wing mods and the restrictions on un-modded spars? I had one for 5 years. Outstanding airplane.

If you have the builder's manual, there is a description of flying acro in there. If not, there's this. There's nothing really unique about acro in RVs if you've already had some basic training. Just get a feel for airspeed buildup. But that's over-rated if you've already had decent training and know what to expect, and are thinking about it as you are flying.

http://www.vansairforce.net/safety/AnAerobaticEpistle.pdf

RV Acro

I have an -8A with 460 hours on it. I try to do some acro on every flight.

Precise acro is a demanding art that requires skill and repetitive training.

I believe fool around acro in an RV starts with two overarching procedures - both of which require some situation awareness and anticipation:

1) If you are running out of required airspeed, feet off the rudders, let go of the stick, wind your watch and let it recover. It will.

2) Always be aware of your airspeed / attitude with respect to NTE limits. If you are nose down (in any wing attitude) and have any doubt, power back, level the wings and get the nose up.

I rarely approach 4 g's having more fun than a 71 year old guy oughta have.

Thanks folks. This is exactly what I was looking for. I also bought the book RViator - which had this section.

Does anybody have any documentation or reference on doing aerobatics in RV series planes?

I have a single space plane so can't get instruction in it and have gotten most of my acro instruction in Decathlons and Extra 200's.

I am fairly comfortable with the plane. However, I am looking to get more insights on things that might be interesting from an RV perspective.
Be aware of the different handling characteristics of the tandem RVs between solo (front seat only) and dual.