DBroom150

I'm New Here
Hi fellow Vanatics.
My name is David Broom and I finished building and started flying my RV6, G-RVAN in April 1998. I have clocked up 600 hours now, not a lot by US standards perhaps, but in the most highly taxed country in Europe where Avgas now costs ?1.15 per litre (around $7.50 per US Gallon) it?s the best a humble working man can manage. I am also just starting on the build of an RV7 so you could say I am keen on the side by side RV?s.
I have popped up here on the VansAirForce forum seeking some help for us RV6/7 flyers and builders in the United Kingdom regarding Aerobatic operation of the RV6/7.
First some background information. Here in the UK we do not have an experimental class of aeroplane. Homebuilts are not eligible for a Certificate of Airworthiness and so they are allowed to operate on a Permit to Fly. Our Civil Aviation Authority ( similar to the FAA, but arguably more officious and costly to deal with ! ) have ultimate responsibility to issue Permits to Fly. The CAA don?t want to get bogged down in the minutiae of homebuilt aircraft so they delegate the authority to oversee homebuilding and recommendation for issue of permits to the Popular Flying Association (PFA), which is similar to the EAA. The PFA is a member owned and run organisation founded half a century ago to promote and encourage homebuilding and light aviation. The biggest difference between the EAA experimental approach and the PFA system is that here all homebuilts have to undergo an approvals process. As a result of approving a particular design, the PFA then have a legal responsibility for their decision. Hence in this increasingly litigious age if a problem subsequently comes to light with a design then the PFA will be required to defend their actions in the approvals process. One big drawback with this approvals based approach is that the easiest way to limit the risk is to withhold approval ! The PFA are not the bad guys in this, they have a legal duty to perform as well as looking after the members interest.

So now for the main pitch. In the UK the only RV approved for any aerobatic manoeuvres is the RV4. The RV8 is in the later stages of the approvals process which has gone on for 5 years or so but is not presently cleared for aerobatics. The RV6 and RV7 are both prohibited from performing aerobatic manoeuvres. An increasing number of us RV6/7 pilots have been pursing the removal of this prohibition since the first RV6 flew here back in 1994 but so far have not made any real headway. One thing which may help our efforts is to gather proof of safe aerobatic operation of the RV6/7 in other parts of the world. To that end I would like anyone who has flown sport aerobatic manoeuvres in their RV6/7 aircraft to drop me an email giving brief details of their experience. Specifically the aircraft type, types of manoeuvres performed, entry speeds used, comments on the behaviour of the aircraft in these manoeuvres, frequency of aerobatic operation. (I know Vans gives some advice on aspects of this but we need first hand accounts of actual aircraft operation). Any spin test reports would also be of use to us since the PFA will not allow spin testing to be undertaken on the side by side RV?s and they won?t allow any aerobatic testing until the spin characteristics are known to be safe (catch 22 I believe you call it).
I need to make it clear that we are only seeking approval for sport aerobatic manoeuvres as defined by Vans, loops rolls and combinations thereof for our own enjoyment. The RV?s are strong aircraft but we fully appreciate they are far from indestructible.
If you are able to give me an account of your own aerobatic activities then please email me direct on [email protected] . I am putting a file together in preparation for my next meeting with the PFA.

Thanks for reading . Thanks for your help if you feel inclined to give it, and above all, keep smiling.

David Broom
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2#
Smile