FAA Info

Arizona Republic reports a fatality accident North of Prescott, Arizona, 3/18/09. Thought to be a RV-6. RIP.

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 6383W Make/Model: EXP Description: RV-6
Date: 03/19/2009 Time: 0104

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT CRASHED INTO A FIELD UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, THE ONE PERSON
ON BOARD WAS FATALLY INJURED, 1 MILE FROM PAULDEN, AZ

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: PRC METAR CLR WIND 23006KT VSBY 10 17/-8 A3011

"smoke trailing you"

I was departing Sedona about 5:30 PM after working on the 6A that was down for repairs- Was a busy day in Sedona with one in the pattern for landing and another inbound- After announcing down wind we all heard "smoke trailing from your cowling, do you want to land? or go back to Prescott?" "yes I need to land" .... Unsure if that was the accident RV or what but that sure quieted the 123.00 freg. Hearing that will make your ears grow larger- Also Sonex out of Cottonwood off field landing in the afternoon. Another sad day. Lets all be carefull out there!

I was just in Sedona near the end of last year. The place was beautiful. Hope that is not the same RV as Sedona is about 50 miles from Prescott.
A lot of things can cause smoke from the engine compartment such as a lose oil cooler hose spewing oil on the exhaust. This has everything to do with the installation and nothing to do with the engine.

In other words, lets not speculate on the cause, the NTSB will have an answer shortly.

My heart goes out to the family of the accident victim.

Last edited by a moderator: