Paul K

Well Known Member
It appears that a RV ground looped and flipped over at the Jenison Airport, just west of Grand Rapids, MI. Two aboard suffered minor injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
it says their wing caught grass on the edge of the runway and then spun... :confused: glad everyone is ok

MI RV Incident

Looks like another bent nose wheel leg :(

Come on guys, do you have to throw in the jab at nosewheelers when right in the report it states he caught a wingtip! "As the plane was landing, its wing clipped the grass and flipped." :mad:

RV Incident

Hey Mike,

I'm not suggesting any cause one way or the other. Until the official report comes out, we need to keep this focused on the pilots and their conditions and hope everyone recovers.

Not only is this incident in my town, I am building a 7-A! Obviously I am very interested in the cause but I can tell you that this airport makes me uncomfortable every time I land there if there is any wind. Check out AirNav and the aerial photo and you will see that the Grand River is on the East end, an old gravel pit with lakes is on the West end, and there is a line of trees very close to the North edge of the runway the whole length. For the locals, this might not be an issue but it gives me the old pucker whenever I land there with any wind.

I'm just glad that there injuries were minor. I'm sure it could have been alot worse. It seems that we are hearing of more and more RV accidents. Is this group of pilots that bad? or is it that there are so many RV's flying, that our group makes up the majority of experimental aircraft. So that in any experimental aircraft accident, the odds are it is an RV aircraft. It just seems that in the last 6 months every week or two it's another RV down.....SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY.

Rich

The article does mention that the plane "was self-assembled." Is that a new option from Vans?

Glad those folks are okay.

I'm just glad that there injuries were minor. I'm sure it could have been alot worse. It seems that we are hearing of more and more RV accidents. Is this group of pilots that bad? or is it that there are so many RV's flying, that our group makes up the majority of experimental aircraft. So that in any experimental aircraft accident, the odds are it is an RV aircraft. It just seems that in the last 6 months every week or two it's another RV down.....SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY.

Rich

That's something to keep in mind. Yeah, it seems that we're hearing about more RV accidents recently ... but part of that is because there are more RVs than any other experimental, like you said.

It's just math. The best we can do is do our darnedest to keep the stats as low as possibe by avoiding stupidity and flying safely.

This was a far better outcome than one Sunday evening. Still it would be good if we could reduce these accidents.

I spoke with Alex (passenger) this morning. He is sore and resting. I imagine Jack is too.

A speedy recovery to them both.

Carlos Fernandez
Sales & Support
GRT Avionics

I really cringed when I saw how the "emergency" personnnel righted the airplane. Maybe the clip was wrong and those were some sort of salvage folks?

Is there perhaps a better way to flip it back over? The tail hitting the ground like that has got to do some extra damage.

Hey Mike,

I'm not suggesting any cause one way or the other. Until the official report comes out, we need to keep this focused on the pilots and their conditions and hope everyone recovers.

Not only is this incident in my town, I am building a 7-A! Obviously I am very interested in the cause but I can tell you that this airport makes me uncomfortable every time I land there if there is any wind. Check out AirNav and the aerial photo and you will see that the Grand River is on the East end, an old gravel pit with lakes is on the West end, and there is a line of trees very close to the North edge of the runway the whole length. For the locals, this might not be an issue but it gives me the old pucker whenever I land there with any wind.

AND, you need to dodge the deer at night.

BTW, this is at least the second RV accident in the area this year.

Michigan Airport

Hey Mike,

Check out AirNav and the aerial photo and you will see that the Grand River is on the East end, an old gravel pit with lakes is on the West end, and there is a line of trees very close to the North edge of the runway the whole length. For the locals, this might not be an issue but it gives me the old pucker whenever I land there with any wind.

Paul, I checked out that photo! Hard to tell from there that there's even an airport in that mess! My point was that catching a wingtip could happen in any model of RV, so your nose geared 7A is not any more susceptible to this happening than any taildragger.
So glad the injuries are minor and not life-threatening!