Dbhm1

I'm New Here
I would like to build an RV9A but concerned about the semingly difficult build process for a novice first time builder not mechanically inclined. I have reviewed many builders internet logs showing pictures but think I would feel much more comfortable with video assistance. Are there videos available for the RV9A build process? Zenith advertises HomebuildHelp.com which is a step by step video for completing any of their aircraft. I have considered a Zenith CH750 just because it appears easier to build but the RV is my first choice above all, I am afraid of investing a lot of money and time and end up with a garage full of aircraft parts. I am aware of rudder workshops but looking for video help once at home. Are there instructions with the firewall forward portion, engine and prop installation as well as avionics ? - that certainly seems very scary..........

Look up the RV builders in Decatur

There are a nice bunch of RV Builders and Flyers at Pryor Field in Decatur with loads of experience. If you look at the nuts and bolts of building an RV I think you will find it will go together better then the other kits on the market. I have seen the drawings on other popular kits and every time I look at their drawings I am glad I went with an RV. With the prepunched/match drilled components on Vans kits it is so much better and hard to mess up an alignment of components. I watched some of the GBI videos while I was starting. I never tackled a project quite like this before myself and now I have an actual airplane setting in my garage. I am currently at the finishing stage. I have my ups and downs but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

No matter what you read here or else where only you can make the decision.

What Mike said.....

....but I wonder about the 'not mechanically inclined' part. Find those builders and get a good firsthand look at what's involved, then decide whether you should build or buy....no shame either way.

Welcome,

Can you learn?

Nobody is born with the ability to build a plane. The abilities are learned and come from education and practice. The education bit is easy. Take a Sport Air RV builders workshop, build the practice kit, and peruse VAF & builders web pages. Taking that Sport Air workshop class for me was the point where I began to think that building is not rocket science. Drilling and riveting skills come pretty quickly and improve with practice. The tail kit gives you plenty of that! I completed mine from start to finish in 2 months, with a few hours a day of building. My biggest worry before starting was would I find the time to get out there and work on it. Now I can't wait to get out to the garage each night and get something done.

I'll keep learning as I go and by the time my plane is built I should know a lot more about the electricals, engine, paint and so on... If I have questions, there are plenty of people here to offer advice.

BTW: good choice with the 9A :)

-9A in Hartselle

I'm building a -9A in Hartselle if you would like to come by discuss, and take a look at a project. Currently working on finish kit stuff
PM me if your interested.
Alan Jackson

Hi there-
I just completed a 9A this past April. I had NO special expertise in sheet metal work, engineering, and was not a "gearhead." Never took auto shop in High School either. Just did the usual things around the house.
I took on the project anyway. The most helpful thing for me was to join an EAA chapter and find an EAA technical advisor (preferably one who lives nearby and is willing to not only help and supervise your work, but who will also lend you some tools when needed! The project is doable. I DID purchase the GBI video for empennage construction and found it helpful.
Also spent a LOT of time on this website with all sorts of questions for which I usually got pretty good answers from other builders.
You need to be patient and you need to be willing to devote a large portion of your spare time to this project (It took me just over 2 1/2 years). For my part, I would STRONGLY urge consideration of a quickbuild kit for wings AND fuselage if you can afford it. Not only saves a LOT of time but also avoids a LOT of headaches.

As previously mentioned, there are a LOT of well-built RV's out there for sale if you prefer to go that route. Just remember if you buy you cannot do the maintenance work.

Good luck with your decision!

Peter K
9A

Thanks

Thanks to each of you for taking the time to reply with good advice. I will definately try to visit someone currently building to see first hand what is involved. Assuming "I think I can do it" I will attend a workshop and order the videos.........Again, thanks to all for your advice / comments......

Last edited:
If you think the RV-9 might be beyond you, have a look at the RV-12, from everything that I've read it seems to be easier to build than the other RVs as the instructions are very detailed. Also the firewall forward and avionics are included along with the instructions for fitting them.

I doubt that the RV-12 will be any harder to build than the CH750, and it will be a good bit faster.

Brooklands