dbaflyer

Well Known Member
I am aligning the vertical stabilizer preparing to drill the holes. I am having an issue whereby when I line up the holes in the brackets that attach the rudder then the measurement from the outboard aft end of the HS up to the upper aft end of the VS do not match between left and right side.

Here are pictures of the vertical alignment of the rudder brackets. This is a string with a plumb bob at the bottom. These pictures are from the center and bottom brackets

VSverticalAlign1.JPG

VSverticalAlign3.JPG

With these holes lined up the measurement from top VS to outboard HS is 67 and 13/16 for the left and 68 3/16 for the right side. It is essentially off by 3/16ths of an inch.

This is a quick build fuselage. The other thing I noticed was the VS rear spar was a very, very tight fit between the most aft ends of the longerons. Might not be related.

Last edited:
I don't see anything there I would lose sleep over. The plumb bob line looks pretty good ...certainly as good as mine did. ( Today my rudder operates like "buttah".) I would pay no attention to the CL-to-HS tip measurement. It will likely reflect the VS leading edge offset that Vans builds in. $10 will get you $20 that when you mount the rudder and get the rod ends adjusted it will operate beautifully.

This is a quick build fuselage. The other thing I noticed was the VS rear spar was a very, very tight fit between the most aft ends of the longerons. Might not be related.

Confirmed, same here. scratched the heck out of the two fitting it up.:mad:

thanks for the updates. Vans essentially said the same thing....

From the measurements you gave me and the pictures I received are perfectly acceptable and I see no reason to spend any more time on this area.