Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I know there have been discussions about cable positions. I reviewed the prior discussions and I'm still confused as to how much you can move the cable positions as specified in the plans without having to get longer cables, etc.

I'm building an RV-9A, carburated, O-320-D3G. It is a pretty much standard setup. I would like to use the steel firewall passthroughs sold by Aircraft Spruce. (I have some extra money;-)) Actually I just think they look nice. But the cable positions as specified in the plans are too close to each other or too close to the boost pump.

I would like to move the throttle cable passthrough up about 1 inch, the carb heat passthrough to the left about an inch (looking from the front), and the mixture pass through down and to the right about 1 inch.

Do the cables have enough play in them to be able to do this? It would be easier to tell once the engine is mounted, but then the holes will be more difficult to drill.

Thanks for any insights,
Michael-

Hi Michael-

They should work fine where described.

In addition, I have my controls mounted flush with the face of the panel, rather than set forward an inch or so under the panel flange as per plans, and they still worked OK.

FWIW, I have an O-320-D2A, so you might check to see if your carb mounts farther forward for some reason.

One thing that would have helped me a LOT ..

..when I was at that point, would have been to have the cable mounting bracket, i.e. the one from Vans that goes between the carb or servo and the sump). They have several different ones depending on carb or FI and intake config. Once you see where the holes are for the threaded shank of the throttle and mixture cables at the carb, it tells a lot about where the f'wall penetrations should be. I had to plug move the mixture cable f'wall penetration after I got that bracket installed, an "owner mod" I was trying to avoid.