mcattell

Well Known Member
I've got the holes all drilled for the step installation on my QB kit but the step support pipe seems to be too long. It's hitting the rib that the mono-block mounts to and pushes the flange on the outside out about 1/4" from the side of the fuselage. The instructions don't mention cutting the tube. Is this normal and does the tube need to be cut? I'm thinking it needs to be cut so there is a little gap between the end of it and the rib so it doesn't wear into the rib. Thanks.

Pipe not too long for me......

The step pipes for my -9A QB was correct length. I'm wondering if you have it located in the wrong position. The drawings that come with the step kit is for the -6A and the positions of ribs/bulkheads are a little different than the -9A.

I made a step installation tips write up for the QB. Send me your e-mail and I'll sent it to you.

Beef with Vans

That is something i just cant wrap my head around with Vans. Great kits, great planes....but...how hard is it to have someone update, ammend the drawings and words. I have so many times where the plans call out a part that i cant find...i can find a 70? but not a 60?. Or how about the flap motor set up. Special instructions come in the bag...BUT, those are for the old rv6? How about the tip up strut package. It comes with a picture of who knows what, and a hand drawn not to scale piece of paper that you have to laugh at (my 6 year old could draw better!). The instructions again, for a 6, and the hand drawn blue print says "does not have to be this thick"? The written page is for a 6, i am building a 9. The issue is that you waste a pile of time, and it seems SO easy to just ammend the plans. I love learning, but i think if they spend 5 hours a plane model each year updating or ammending the issues....they wouldnt keep having builders call support and get frustrated. Ok, better now, back to the build.

As I remembered, mine fit pretty well.
IMG_2896.JPG

steps.JPG

Last edited:
I trimmed the tube on the grinder. IIRC, I took each one down about 3/32 - 1/4". Just trim and check...trim and check..You get the picture.

Here is my Log: http://www.flightinnovations.com/fuselage_3.html#8/24/07

Nice builders log Bret. With the QB it would be hard to install the steps in the wrong location since the alignment holes are pre-drilled so it looks like trimming is the only option. It's comforting to know that someone else had to do the same. Like someone else mentioned, the part numbers for the ribs in the instructions were not for the -9 so it takes a little longer to figure it out until you realize that. Thanks.

FWIW, I had to trim my step tubes as well, by about a quarter inch. It was a real pain getting the holes in the ribs enlarged and lined up properly (I have a 9A QB). I have no idea how one could do this after the fact (i.e., with the baggage floor riveted down).

greg