rv9ajim

Does anyone besides myself have trouble climbing up on the wing of the 9A without some sort of handle or grip to pull yourself up? Any ideas, anyone? It's easy when the canopy is open but it's tough when it's closed and latched.
Thanks,
Jim ([email protected])

slider handle

Hi jim.

This isn't what you were looking for but I had similar thoughts about mine when I started construction. I went with a tip up because of panel access and visibility but one thing I wasn't sure about was getting onto the wing without some sort of handle. I never liked the idea of grabbing onto the canopy frame (in the open position) to pull myself up on the plane. I'm building the -9 and I'm still adding steps to assist in getting up on the wing.

canopy handle

Hi Robert-
I even asked Van's about it and they said they had never thought about it since they keep their airplanes hangared. I think a smooth handle, just a plain one, will look okay and help drag your body up on that wing. When I built a tip up I never had any problem since I could reach the unlocking handle on the side and tip up the canopy. Then, it's no problem holding onto the side of the cabin.
Thanks, Robert.
Jim

flush handle

Back in the day!! I hung around navy jets, and they had these handy dandy recessed steps and hand holds. (The Air Force sissy's had to have ladders):eek:

The cover was spring loaded and you would just push them out of the way climb up and then the cover would snap back in place nice and flush.

You might mount something like that up high just behind the canopy.