rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
When I cleco the side skirts to the slider frame, the skirts follow the contour of the fuselage almost perfectly. When I then cleco the skirts to the canopy bubble, the skirts stick out from the sides of the fuselage. They would need to be bent back about 5 degrees to be parallel with the fuselage again. Did anybody else have this problem? If so, how did you solve it? :confused:

Thank you,

I had the same problem. I inserted a shim strip along the top under the side skirt to prevent the side skirt from bowing out at the bottom when clecoed or riveted in place.

Vern Little

vlittle said:
I had the same problem. I inserted a shim strip along the top under the side skirt to prevent the side skirt from bowing out at the bottom when clecoed or riveted in place.

Vern Little

Great idea, Vern! :) I assume you put the shim between the frame and the C-759 inside canopy skirt, right? How thick was the shim? Does it run the entire length of the frame? Were you still able to use the 7/64" MK-319BS pop rivets per the plans, or did you have to use longer 1/8" diameter pop rivets to attach the skirt because of the thickness of the shim?

Thanks again,

rv9builder said:
Great idea, Vern! :) I assume you put the shim between the frame and the C-759 inside canopy skirt, right? How thick was the shim? Does it run the entire length of the frame? Were you still able to use the 7/64" MK-319BS pop rivets per the plans, or did you have to use longer 1/8" diameter pop rivets to attach the skirt because of the thickness of the shim?

Thanks again,

I'm out of town right now, so I don't have all the details. However, here's my recollection: full length shim (I think 0.020), about 1/2" wide, located under the screws at the top of the side skirts only. Prevents the screws from pulling the top of the skirts in (and bottom skirt out).

You can try different configurations pretty easily.

FMI my canopy page

vlittle said:
I'm out of town right now, so I don't have all the details. However, here's my recollection: full length shim (I think 0.020), about 1/2" wide, located under the screws at the top of the side skirts only. Prevents the screws from pulling the top of the skirts in (and bottom skirt out).

You can try different configurations pretty easily.

FMI my canopy page

Thanks, Vern. I appreciate your help!