Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
The nosewheel strut squeaks and my IA and RV guru says the fix is to replace the bolt with a taper pin, and that also requires a taper reamer.

Who's done this? What part numbers do I want, and can I borrow / rent a reamer from somebody?

In other news, we replaced the carb on the airplane with a rebuilt carb that runs a bit richer. That helped, but not as much as we wanted. MarvelSchebler re-jetted the carb, and now all the temps are good on climbout. More details later.

Ed

How many hours on the airframe? It probably just needs to be removed, cleaned, greased and reassembled. I had a main gear start squeaking at a couple hundred hours - turns out I didn't put enough grease on the leg.

I did mine during the last condition inspection. Lots of good information in this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=121430&highlight=Taper+pin

I would strongly urge you to avoid the taper pin reamer from Aircraft Spruce. Mine was horrible and dulled very quickly - it was a waste of money. I paid more for a good one from MSC Direct and it reamed the steel very quickly and easily.

Do you have the part # from MCS for the reamer? Thanks

Try a AN5-21A with one washer under the head, and two under the nut. It will allow more shank to extend through the mount and secure the leg.