Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
There seems to be a contradiction between drawing C1 and 45 in regards to the top of the nose gear fairing. Drawing C1 shows the entire fairing penetrating the cowl, while drawing 45 shows the fairing trimmed and only part of it going through the cowl.

I assume that C1 is wrong, otherwise the fairing interferes with the cowl gap bracket. Drawing 45 instructs to trim to avoid interference with that bracket.

Drawing C1:

ZH7Kpr3.jpg

Drawing 45:

lrar4qh.jpg

Should I proceed according to drawing 45?

Michael-

Mine is trimmed at the upper end like in DWG C1, but fits like DWG 45. Not sure why the fancy trim job shown in DWG 45.

I think the drawings are of 2 different cowls.

The O-360 induction scoop is deeper than the O-320 scoop. Note that in DWG 45 the cowl is closer to the engine mount leg socket (O-320 cowl).

In reality it doesn't really matter. as long as you intent to make/install an intersection fairing at the top, which is a very good idea, so that the leg is restrained.

I read the upper drawing as a preliminary installation drawing with the top of the fairing shown dashed to show that it is not a final cut. Note that no cowling details are shown, just an outline to show position.

The lower drawing is the final trimming drawing, and even has the note on it "Trim gear leg fairing as shown".