Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
Done by T&P Aero Refinishing in Salinas, CA. I think they did a great job...no orange peel, no runs, no overspray, no damage. Even hidden areas were nicely masked and pristine.

Colors are: Matterhorn White (Jet Glo), Cobalt Blue Metallic (Acry Glo), Las Vegas Gold Metallic (Acry Glo), and I forget the name of the silver. The wings are blue along the fuel tank seam, then sweep back to the aft of the wingtip outboard of that.

Advice for those who are building and plan to paint: talk to your painter early! Had I had his advice during construction, I could have done a lot of the paint prep more easily (i.e. make nice big gaps between cowl/fairing pieces, to allow for paint buildup), and also known what parts he would help me with (getting the canopy metal-glass interface nice and sleek, smoothing out lower intersection fairings) -- his fiberglass skills are far superior to mine. And he's done enough RVs to know where the trouble spots are. If the painter's not willing to chat with you, maybe look for a different painter.

He had me take all the fairings and control surfaces off (4 hrs) and rebalance/reinstall (22 hrs) myself. Saves him hassle, and saves me money and worrying about it getting done right. Took a fair bit of planning to take all the right tools down there, but they were also willing to lend what I forgot.

IMG_6803cr.jpg

IMG_6806.JPG

IMG_6831.JPG

IMG_6836.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful, Paul.......

.....curious if you might team up with Rosie and the gang for the trip down to Sun 'n Fun next April. BTW I'll be in Fremont from Dec 17-20.. Could we catch up?

Regards,

Right colors too

Paul,
Love it! Nice job!
Especially like the dark on bottom and light on top.
I think it is the way it should be.
dark on bottom hides the flaws with oil on belly and brake dust on pants etc.
I see lots of beautiful paint jobs just the opposite and wonder if guys regret it later. Again, yours is beautiful !!!!!
Regards,

Paul,
Love it! Nice job!
Especially like the dark on bottom and light on top.
I think it is the way it should be.
dark on bottom hides the flaws with oil on belly and brake dust on pants etc.
I see lots of beautiful paint jobs just the opposite and wonder if guys regret it later. Again, yours is beautiful !!!!!
Regards,
First off, BEAUTIFUL airplane. I hope mine looks as nice when I am done painting. Mine is being done in a similar "swoopy" style but with the white on the bottom and leading edge of the wing. The color is on the top and back of the wing. The main reason is that there is a higher probability that the wing leading edge or the bottom of the plane will be damaged at some point (think rocks, birds, etc). It is much easier to blend in body work on a white surface than it is on a metallic surface.

Last edited:
.....curious if you might team up with Rosie and the gang for the trip down to Sun 'n Fun next April. BTW I'll be in Fremont from Dec 17-20.. Could we catch up?

Regards,

Hi Pierre! Probably won't make it to Sun'nFun, got a baby at home to help take care of...I dream of making it to Oshkosh some year.

Yeah, if you want to meet up for lunch or a bay tour, get in touch, I'll PM my contact info.

Looks great Paul. I was planning to go over to T&P this week. I am at that point for paint. They painted one of the planes at work. Absolutely top notch work. Good to know that they are familiar with RV's.
Aaron

I got some requests for photos of areas that were not visible on the earlier shots.

(On the wing, I was thinking that the masking line would follow the gap between the tank and main skin, but he put it a little further aft. My diagram was not detailed enough...at any rate, I think it looks fine either way.)

IMG_6831.JPG

IMG_6836.JPG