jermyster

I'm New Here
Hi guys

there's a local pilot that lost his medical and has decided to sell his RV9A with basic VFR instruments. nothing fancy or digital.

about 40 hrs smoh on the engine, but 350 hours on the plane. <----350hrs correction not 3500hrs

he knows my family and says if i want it can have it for $50k. just needs a better paint job. paint is not bad the the scheme isnt really that great. i just prefer something modern and with some color.

is this a decent deal? I use to own an piper arrow and looking to get into RVs.

whats also the cost of painting an RV9A?

Last edited:
An rv9 with 3500hrs?? Some people successfully operate in obscurity apparently. Paint is the wrong concern... For lack of more concise words. Roughly $9k.

More info

If you are not up to speed on rvs, find an RV builder/flyer in your area that knows their stuff. They will likely be happy to have a good go over for you. Even better find an expert and PAY them to have a few hour look over. 50k could be the best deal going or the worst mistake of your life.

New panel $10K. Good paint job $6-10K. Fixing a piece of $#@& airplane you paid too much for...horrible.

Enjoying a great airplane you paid too little for...PRICELESS. Kick the tires and have a good look with an expert soon.

Welcome to VAF!

With that time on the airframe and the time on the engine, I'd expect that any airframe teething issues would be resolved and the airframe ought to be plenty good for routine flying. But there could easily be issues of age to deal with: cracks or wear being the most likely.

Unfortunately, with only 40 hours on the rebuilt engine, there could be firewall forward things which are amiss.

For both cases, I'd recommend finding a knowledgeable RV-9 owner, one who built his airplane, and asking them for help inspecting things. An AI, a busy one, would be particularly helpful for a second inspection. Basically get both people looking at it.

A good place to look for a price and equipment comparison would be Barnstormers.com. Look for Van's, then RV-9A, and you'll see several there. Prices and equipment vary but seem to be competitive with the price you mentioned.

Another comparison is my very own Cessna 180, which has about that much total time on it. It's holding up well, but I've had to replace a few cracked parts over the years. They show up on inspections. It's quite clearly not a brand new airplane any more, though. It's needed and gotten an engine (actually most things firewall forward), a prop, an interior all while I've owned it, and currently needs paint. It and I went for a flight today and we had a totally wonderful time. I'm still smiling.

Dave

If all things check out from an airworthy and aesthetic standpoint, then yes, that is a pretty good deal (for any RV really) I seem to recall a few in the upper 50-70K range for sale this year but they were less than desirable examples, albeit probably airworthy. Looks like you're in SoCal. If you go down to Aero Paint at KSEE you could probably get a basic all white paint job for around $5k.

As you have probably surmised, price depends on a lot of stuff. Hard to believe that there is a 9 out there with that many hours (very few RVs at all with that many hours). What engine and what kind of shape is it really in? is it the original engine? I would look closely at the logbooks to get a sense of the history and how well it's been maintained, in addition to the other suggestions here.

Paint by a reasonable shop is probably in the $5-10k range, depending on whether you go with basic white vs. complex scheme with expensive (red, yellow require expensive pigment) colors.

Good luck.

Greg

Hi sorry guys that was a typo on my part. It should say aircraft has 350 hrs not 3500 hrs

Also the seller is the builder with full build records.

Recommends

Jermyster,

As previously stated, welcome. I'd like to offer a few recommendations:

>If not already done, get in touch with and join your local EAA chapter.
>Sign up with the Yahoo user group SoCAL-RVlist. http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SoCAL-RVlist/info
>Just two days ago a friend and I participated in a pre-buy inspection for an RV he is considering for purchase. The gents doing the inspection were contacted via SoCAL-RVlist...Ed Holyoke and Mike Phillips, based out of KWHP. We were very favorably impressed at their thoroughness and depth of knowledge. They even helped work off a couple minor squawks on the spot. Can't say enough good things about the experience. Two thumbs up.

Hope to see you in the pattern.

If you are not up to speed on rvs, find an RV builder/flyer in your area that knows their stuff. ... Even better find an expert and PAY them to have a few hour look over. 50k could be the best deal going or the worst mistake of your life.

New panel $10K. Good paint job $6-10K. Fixing a piece of $#@& airplane you paid too much for...horrible.

Enjoying a great airplane you paid too little for...PRICELESS.

.... what Rick said. :)

wow thanks guys and overzero.

already in EAA and IAC. just joined socal rv.

holy craap this is a wealth of knowledge. cant thanks you guys enough