ron sterba

Well Known Member
Starting under the cowl finally. Mounted alternator and throttle body. Was wondering whats the best way to run that fuel line from spider (top) to bottom. Any preferences? I could go from spider then between cylinders 2 & 4 to throttle body or spider then straight out rear baffle by sparks plug wires grommet and down and around. If I go between the two cylinders I'll have to cut a hole in the baffle underneath 2 & 4 then to throttle body. The provided fuel line is long enough to go either way. Your preferences or a picture of your throttle body and fuel lines/cable linkage or your PASS THRU in rear baffle would be much appreciated. I'm not seeing a plan page for the fuel injected on that application, is there one? I see the carb plan page.

OK I taught my shelf something today and would like to share it with others who didn't know either. I couldn't remember what cylinders #'s were where on my Lycoming IO320.. So I came up with this simple idea. The word LEFT has four letters. Four is a EVEN number. So cylinders two and four are on the left when sitting in the cockpit. the word RIGHT has five letters and is a ODD number and so are the ODD number cylinders one and three. :):):) Or as my friend pointed out you could just look at the numbers printed in the engine block! There you have it!
Thanks
Ron in Oregon

Bone stock Lycoming IO-360-M1B hose passes between cylinders 1 and 3. Lower baffle has a hole and grommet installed by the factory.

Last edited:
An option if running on the right side ...

My IO-320 did not have the hole and grommet in the baffle under cyl 1 & 3. Removing that baffle to cut a hole looked like more than I wanted to get into, so I put a rear-facing 90 degree ell in the spider, and ran the fuel hose out the rear engine baffle thru a grommet. Between the rear baffle and the engine-driven f. pump is where I located the red cube. Other than a defective red cube that leaked like a sieve, this arrangement has worked great.
If your spider is on the L side, I think you could use the same routing. I know some of the Mattituck 320's have the spider on the left.

RV(A Fuel line route out of spider IO320 Lyc

OK I'll check to see if that hole exists on the other sides lower baffle. Thanks guys!.
OH by the way I had a fuel line connected at the spider from Lycoming and I pulled the nylon plug off the other end and all the preservation oil drained out the line. Red in Color.

Ron in Oregon

Bone stock IO-360-M1B hose passes between cylinders 1 and 3. Lower baffle has a hole and grommet installed by the factory.
Bill,Terry,Tom, Well I checked between the #2 & #4 Cylinders and at the lower baffle plate is a return oil line,so that's out. I did find that the fuel line from the spider was routed aft and around to the throttle body by the factory because I found 2 brackets on the engine that corresponded to the adel clamps on the hose.DAH! Never looked close. But I could see that route between the #1 & #3 would work too! Didn't find a grommet there. So now this is my first time working up close and personal with a aircraft engine. With all that you have mentioned is valuable because its the variables that make us who we are. BUILDERS! I Cut the upper cowl and that went very good. A few steps ahead now. Any pointers on assembly of the linkage at the throttle body? I got ZIPPO on the hook up so I will have to seek the info. Got the the hook up for under the instrument panel brackets will need to find out how the set the travel limits on the levers on the side on the throttle body.Open for any direction. Thanks Guys!

Ron in Oregon

IO-320 fuel line routing in my 9A

I chose to exit the spider and route the firesleeved hose through the rear of the baffle (just inboard of the oil cooler) and not between the cylinders. This routing allowed me to terminate that hose on the red cube (fuel flow transducer) that I mounted on the firewall . . . then out of the red cube to the FI servo. I'll try and find my pictures . . .

Last edited:
The engine I bought from Mattituck (IO-360M1B)did not have any access between the cylinders so I went back up behind the baffling. I had TS Flightlines make a new line for me since it was clear the Mattituck-supplied line would be too short. And there were challenges: the engine mount, for one. The exhaust pipes for another (heat shields were the fix here), as well as the lines over to the transducer (which I use firesleeve on), and the two lines going to the oil cooler.

(I made this video when I was noodling on this)

The line is not clamped to any engine mount, of course. There is a double Adel-clamp standoff arrangement with a firesleeved oil line to add support and direction. In fact, I think the oil line you see in this picture, which is now firesleeved, is what I used for support.

It's a delicate and exact routing, but a doable and safe one if you pay attention to all the issues of chafing and bends and such.

Here's a shot from the top:

2011-06-08_09-47-27_159.jpg

One of the reasons I actually liked how this turned out is it kept the area under the cylinders pretty clean for me. So I was able to run the Lightspeed wires and the probe wires to the cylinders and Adel-clamp them down (I've singlehandedly kept the Adel clamp company in business) without competing against any fuel line.

Last edited:
My install looks just like Bob's, it's just on the opposite side. I found the same advantages Bob noted.

Well I will route the fuel line out the back of the baffle as you guys have. My oil cooler is on the firewall per vans new location. I have spoken with a few guys who have said Mech pump to servo is the place for the Dynon Red cube most preferred is sevro to Spider for the most accurate. I like your ideas. For me its out the rear baffle. Its also been said that the red cube can be mounted on the brace work of the engine mount as long as there are adel clamps at the fittings in and out and the unit itself is mounted to the brace with no 90's or 45's at the cube.. Ill have to look at that closer. Any body have a close up of their mixture cable and throttle cable linkage connections at the servo. Vans doesn't have them so I'm on my own to figure this one out. Thanks guys.
Ron in Oregon

send me a PM ...

...with your email address. I'll send you pics of the cable connections at the servo and how I installed the red cube between servo and spider.