ron sterba

Well Known Member
Just got my Throttle body mounted (Vert induction). Looking for the dimensions on the firewall to drill for these cables pass-thru s'. Drawings for the pass thru holes are not listed for the Lyc IO-320. Vans agrees but just eye ball it. ( i'm cool with that) When the drawing for this area was done they were not doing a IO 320 series in the 9A at the time even though the words (fuel injection) is written on the drawing page. I did learn that the measurements for the carb 360 throttle holes are really close to what I need for the throttle IO 320. Mixture cable needs a little more thought that's why I'm writing today on your Dimes worth for that location. But I'll take both if you have them.! If you have pictures of the pass-thrus and side of your throttle body making the connections to the levers (Throttle & Mixture) that would be much appreciative.Thanks Guys!

Ron in Oregon

Perfect timing, I have this question too. And how do the throttle, mixture, and air-intake bypass cables all route between the firewall and instrument panel? For instance, the ideal location for the mixture just looking at the engine side of the FW, would interfere with the pilot-side right rudder pedal on the cabin side of the FW.

Edit: this thread might help.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=94541&referrerid=8660

Last edited:
The Vans FW locations did NOT work for me ...

Vans' throttle cable location worked fine (for my IO-320 vertical induction w/Silverhawk) but their location for mixture cable (several inches below the sensor manifold on the port side of the FW) would not work even with the longest mixture cable Vans offered. I had to drill a second big-a** hole - this time in the upper slanted portion of the firewall inset. That worked great for the entire mixture cable routing. I lucked out on the fuel line penetration .... missed the nose wheel weldment by no more than 1/8"

Ok Ill be out there to day and position the exhaust since I have a Vetterman muffler set up and look at the IO 360 #'s. Ill get back to you guys tomorrow. Thanks
Ron in Oregon

Mr RV9Av8tr and Terry, You guys were right on! Used throttle location on 360 and moved down several inches for the mixture. Sure eye balling it helped as well as the pictures, Thanks guys.Appreciate the ideas along with the OH DARNS too! Installed the Mil Spec fasteners for the uppper cowling at the firewall. Trashed the hinge idea Ron in Oregon.