Kencondrell

I'm New Here
I own and fly an RV 9A. Total time on this model is 540 hours.

I now have a Dynon 100. Any tips on installing the servos ? Can this be done once the plane is completely assembled?

Ken Condrell

I don't see why not. Get the brackets and installation kits with the servos. One goes in the back behind the baggage bulkhead for pitch, and the roll servo in the wing. Wiring may be the hardest part.

I own a RV-9A which I installed a Trio Pro Pilot in and I am not a builder.
Search the forum for pics of installs. There is a bracket for the wing which makes the roll servo just a matter of removing the inspection plate and bolting the assembly in place - very easy. The pitch servo goes aft of the baggage area and will require a mounting plate which is not available pre-made to my knowledge. I am not familiar with Dynon in particular but if they sell a harness that would likely be the easiest approach and safest as you would be less likely to make a mistake than if you made your own harness (I bought a harness for the RV and made a harness for the Lancair install - take it from me, buy a harness).

I installed both Dynon servos after I had been flying for a year or two. They are relatively easy to install. The biggest challenge is doing the pitch bracket because it is recommend that you rivet it through the bottom skin. (My plane wasn't painted when I installed them.) Some people have just riveted (or bolted) the bracket through the rib that the bell crank is attached to.

I HIGHLY recommend you buy the wiring harness from Stein for both servos. Although it will have extra wires, if you ever upgrade to a SkyView, the servos will already be pre-wired. Also, I put DB9 connectors on each servo, so facilitate installation and future maintenance.

To secure the wire run in the fuselage, I used zip-tie pads with the sticky pad removed and glued in place with Goop Automotive Trim Adhesive.

The roll servo goes in the right wing and I installed conduit with a pull string, when I built the plane, so those wires were easy to run. One of the two brackets that holds the right aileron bell crank is replaced and the roll servo bolts to that.

While you can operate the Auto Pilot from the D100, I recommend installing the AP74 control head. It just makes it easier to use the Auto Pilot.

Good luck!

I HIGHLY recommend you buy the wiring harness from Stein for both servos. Although it will have extra wires, if you ever upgrade to a SkyView, the servos will already be pre-wired. Also, I put DB9 connectors on each servo, so facilitate installation and future maintenance.

I'm normally all about doing it all myself (and I did on mine) and encouraging others to do the same - but in this case, installing into a finished aircraft, I think this is good advice. I would go ahead and spend a few extra dollars to get his wiring harness to save headache later.

Servos

The servo, mounting kit, wiring harness and hub are all available from Dynon. The hub allows both servos to connect at one point in the fuse then one harness routes to the panel. Call Dynon and or Stein. Stein would add the pins to the harness and save you buying an expensive crimper.

Hey Ken, Welcom to VAF! the 7 fuse is the same as the 9, I installed the pitch bracket during the build while the tail cone was on the bench, the Dynon bracket does get riveted to the bottom skin, you may need a bucking partner. I do not envy the position you will be in to install this bracket. :D

Just finished doing it to mine.

Piece of cake. Brackets are easy to install and used a prefabricated harness and a wiring hub.