MrNomad

Well Known Member
It looks like my labor of love is going to sit outside in the Tucson sun for quite some time.

Does anyone have plans, ideas, pictures, or thoughts of a temporary shade port I can build inexpensively and protect, at the very least, the center section of the plane?

I cannot affix it to the ground permanently else a permit is required. I can plant some concrete and BOLT the temporary cover to the base. The inspector Nazis will tolerate that.

Ideas are appreciated.

Barry

I had the same thought as the above poster - just adding that in my area at least, Costco is by far the best deal on these - around $200 I think. The tarps that form the roof and sides on these things are realtively cheap and will have significant sun damage within a year or two. Mine came with a guarantee though, so if you save your receipt and the manfacturer's contact info, you can bitch to them and they will send a replacement tarp (once only - there is no guarantee on the replacement parts!)

regards

E.

az_gila said:
I'm not sure that these would survive our thunderstorm season (aka monsoon).

Tuesday's storm had 40+ kt. horizontal winds and 1.6 inches of rain in 40 minutes... and structures on airports tend to be out in the open, with little shelter...

gil in Tucson

Well then how about this: steel temporary building

So is hanger space that hard to come by around Tucson?

I've been thinking that the Tucson area might be a place I would like to move to next year - after I get my plane flying. I thought Marana might be an option. Of course La Cholla Airpark would be nice but $1MM+ :eek: is a bit more than I can afford .

The non-stop rain in Austin is making Arizona look better all the time.

az_gila said:
Snow load is not a problem here.... :D

...but how do you fit a flying RV-9A in one of these structures?

gil A

Removable legs or leg sections. pull first row, push the plane back. Reinstall those pull the next row, push the plane back.

It may take a bit of trail & error extra bracing to cantilever the roof, but shouldn't be that hard to figure out. If you can build an airplane, I would hope you can figure this out. It may be a little extra work each time you fly, but it's gotta be better than frying in the AZ sun.

Cables

The first idea would work if you added a bunch of perimeter cables to corkscrew tie down points. You'll replace the canvas after a 40kt storm, however.

This is the best idea

hydroguy2 said:
Removable legs or leg sections. pull first row, push the plane back. Reinstall those pull the next row, push the plane back.

It may take a bit of trial & error extra bracing to cantilever the roof, but shouldn't be that hard to figure out.
If I can push Gil's Tiger to the side of his hangar, prob solved, but other than that this is the best idea. We can attach 4 posts to the ground which are alongside but behind the wing. Once the airplane is in place, install the front posts with bolts. It's not like we fly every day, and if we use a strong enough roof material, it will survive the hail.

Thanks.

Barry