md9680

Well Known Member
Friend
I have a pretty early tail kit (builder #90174) and am trying to position the elevator horn on the E-906 Root Rib but there are no pre-punched holes in the E-906. When I look at photos of other, newer, projects, there appear to be pre-punched holes which significantly aid in placement of the horn. Am I missing something? Do the latest E-906s come with the holes or did everyone have to locate the horn first on the rib, then match drill? Thanks.

Last edited:
RV9A E-906 Root Rib

The thread title should have been about the E-906. I obviously got confused?!?

Mike,
Exactly what measurements do you need? Measurements on the horn or on the rib? Let me know and I will get them for you. Check this picture out and see if it helps.
E-906.jpg
[/IMG]

Mike,

I have kit 90285 and my elevator spars and root ribs weren't pre-drilled. It's fairly easy to eyeball the horn in place correctly. To answer the other part of your question, if you have to order another spar and root rib (I did), it comes pre-drilled and you just cleco the horn on and final drill.

Mike,

I have kit 90285 and my elevator spars and root ribs weren't pre-drilled. It's fairly easy to eyeball the horn in place correctly. To answer the other part of your question, if you have to order another spar and root rib (I did), it comes pre-drilled and you just cleco the horn on and final drill.

Scott, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear from someone. I'll go ahead and order another spar and root rib as you did. I don't have the plans in front of me right now but I'm thinking I might have to do the same for the left elevator.

Thanks.

Mike,

I wouldn't order one just for the horn as it is not difficult to get it right without the holes. I had another issue that caused re-work and a new elevator skeleton. The other elevator that I "eyeballed" was just as good as the predrilled one when I drilled the horns to the center hinge. I would give it a try first.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I did get new, pre-drilled spars and Root Ribs. Was finally fitting it all together today when I noticed the elevator horns have no lightening holes! Don't think it's worth replacing them, though. Guess you could say I have the "Old Kit Blues" but I'm not complaining. :)