justinmg

I know this has been discussed back and forth, but I cant find any photos, or anyone who has actually done this.
I need to retofit a Navaid servo under the seat of an RV9a. Our regulators will not pass a wingtip install.
Does anyone know of any photos or a builders diary that documents such?
TIA. Justin

justinmg said:
I know this has been discussed back and forth, but I cant find any photos, or anyone who has actually done this.
I need to retofit a Navaid servo under the seat of an RV9a. Our regulators will not pass a wingtip install.
TIA. Justin

Justin, I don't have any photos but I'm sure you will receive some since the underseat installation has been done many times in previous years in RV-6's.

I am curious, however, as to what reasons your regulators gave for denying the wingtip installation. Anything you can offer would be interesting to those with wingtip installations.

Another point to consider.

I you can't get it installed under the seat ( I couldn't because it interfered with my A-trim), it is not hard to install in the wing through the inspection plate.

Kent

justinmg said:
TIA. Justin
Justin, If you will send me your e-mail address, I'll send you pictures of the under the seat installation in my -6.
Mel <n168tx(at)flytx.net>

Kent I understood that installation through the inspection plate was not possible (too tight). Any further info would be appreciated.

Mel I`m not sure what the underseat area ofa 6 is like, but anything will help!!! E-mail sent!

Justin, you didn't say which AP you are wanting to install

justinmg said:
Kent I understood that installation through the inspection plate was not possible (too tight). Any further info would be appreciated.

Mel I`m not sure what the underseat area ofa 6 is like, but anything will help!!! E-mail sent!
I installed the BMA servo in my wing after it was on the plane. I also know that you can install the TruTrack servos through the inspection hole. Don't know about any other, but it would surprise me if you couldn't. After all the manufacture are wanting to sell their products to people that already have flying planes.

Kent

Sam,
We are advised to keep away from the wigtip mount because of the long pushrod. It can cause trouble if disconnects at the wingtip end, and jams the turn (into wing servo direction). I know this has happened at least once (thankfully on the ground).
I am happy to accept that the wingtip is the most simple retro fit, but I am looking for simple (for our regulator to approve).

Following Kents suggestion I have placed the servo in the wing via the inspection hatch. There is space, and thankfully I have small hands.
It looks like I would have to cut a hole in the metal plate at the front of the hatch (looks like the spar). I could then also put 4 holes in the spar, and feed 4 bolts back into the aileron belcrank space.The servo could be bolted onto these bolts using castle nuts ( not enough space to rivet). Would making a hole in the spar (5*3 inches) be permissable. The plans show that the spar has holes in it in all other areas apart from this one!!!
However Mels underseat photos look fairly straightforward (no hole in spar). Both method look very do-able.

Justin, I don't think that you should be cutting on the spar.

justinmg said:
It looks like I would have to cut a hole in the metal plate at the front of the hatch (looks like the spar). I could then also put 4 holes in the spar, and feed 4 bolts back into the aileron belcrank space.The servo could be bolted onto these bolts using castle nuts ( not enough space to rivet). Would making a hole in the spar (5*3 inches) be permissable. The plans show that the spar has holes in it in all other areas apart from this one!!!
Which AP are you going to buy?
The TruTrack bolts onto the existing bell crank for the aileron. The BMA servo does not come with a mounting bracket so I made my own and it attaches to the next outboard rib. I can post a picture if your are interested. I wouldn't want to weaken the spar in any way.

Kent

AP

Trutrack sold me a mount for a RV-6 so I could install the servo under the seat of my RV-9. Worked fine. I did not want to try and run more wires through the side of the plane and into the wing on a flying craft. The under seat mount is where I had the Century AP that was not fast enough for a RV. Contact Trutrack thay are very helpful and there AP works perfectly.

I already have a 2nd hand navaid setup to fit. I am pretty sure I will go for the underseat option so I dont have to work on the spar.