croner15

Operating costs aside (previous forums have covered that issue), is there much difference between the RV-12 and RV-9a in terms of cost to build? Obviously there are many variations to the 9, but cost-wise are we looking at around the same numbers for a 12 and a 9 that sticks to the script (VFR, basic panel, new O-320)?

Would be interested to hear from 9a owners who don't mind sharing how much in terms of $$$ they put in to their project.

To me it looks like costs would be more or less the same, with the only real difference being 1,000 extra hours for what Van's calls a "real performance tiger."

We are building a 12 now. 9 was cheaper for me much cheaper. But I have wood prop and nothing on the panel. New O320 and full leather interior though...

Looking at my 9A, it is way more then a 12.

If you follow the options provided by Van, I believe the 12 would be less. In my case I bought dual EFIS screens, Auto Pilot, Fuel Injection and Electronic Ignition for my 320. Everything added up, and I have around 100K in the plane.

I track all of my "airplane" purchases with Quicken. Should be able to finish my slow build -9A for less than 90K (no paint). VFR panel w/ all Dynon Skyview system, single 10" display. I did lots of little upgrades along the way, and primed everything. Engine was rebuilt.

I havent started my build yet but it really depends a lot on if you build it strictly as Van's recommends or EAB and make some changes. The 12 kit costs $23255 and the 9A costs $22960 so the kit cost difference is $295.

The numbers can really start to move based on engine choices, mostly with the -12.

Available engines choices for the -12 are:
Viking $13,000 plus FWF, approx $17,000.
Jabiru 2200 $15,500 plus FWF, approx $21,500.
Jabiru 3300 $19,900 plus FWF, approx $25,000.
ULpower 260is $21,108 at current exchange prices, plus FWF approx $26,000.
Rotax 912uls $27,885, not sure what/if any, other FWF costs involved. May end up being more.

RV-9A
The io-320 from Superior is approx $22,500, not sure what other FWF is required.
The io-320 Lyc. from Vans is $26,500, not sure what other FWF is required.

Airframe and engine packages only:
-12 with a Viking $40,255.
-12 with a Jabiru 2200 $44,755.
-12 with a Jabiru 3300 $48,255
-12 with ULpower 260is $49,255.
-12 with a Rotax $51,140.

-9A with a Superior IO-360 $45,460.
-9A with a Lyc. IO-360 $49,460.

Understand, these numbers are not exact but a close representation based on my personal research. You may spend more or less for any listed package.

Other things to consider, the Viking and ULpower are fuel injected and the Jabiru's and standard Rotax are not. There is a new FI 912uls but I don't know what it costs.

YMMV. :)

If you are disciplined, I have found Van's cost estimator to be very accurate for the -9, at least within 10%. Thus, I would think their cost estimator might help answer your question.

FWIW, I have a panel very similar to the D180 RV-12's and a new Aerosport 0-320 and think the difference in cost b/w the two would be a wash.

Last edited:
I was considering building a 9 before the 12 came out. With new engines (Lycoming with f/p metal prop and the Rotax respectively) plus the same avionics, lighting, A/P etc, I think you could build a 9 for very little more than the 12 - say within 10%. The 12 would win hands down for ease of construction, but the 9 would easily outfly it. If you wanted to shop around for alternative/used engines and other parts, you could build a 9 more cheaply than a standard 12, or vice versa.

No comparison in performance ...

The Nine is way more airplane than the 12, for obvious reasons. With an IO-320, you'll have x-country capability in a Nine that is - for obvious reasons - impossible in a 12.
Given today's kit and parts prices, and given a few upgrades here and there, you can expect to have ~$100k invested in a completed 9A.

We built our 9A for less than the cost of a 12. A few years not withstanding, it can still be done. Used engine, basic panel, low cost paint and you are still well under the $75,000 (almost) fixed cost of a painted RV-12. Now, after leather interior, 430W, audio panel, and other upgrades, we have more money in the 9A than Eagle's Nest One, our RV-12, but not much more.

Done as an E-LSA (not E-AB,) the 12 varies little in price, one to another. 9s are going to be all over the map. If I were trying for lowest cost, I don't think I would chose the 9 UNLESS I had an engine in hand before I started, and was sure I could live with a basic panel. To me, one of the things that make the 12 such a good deal is you know what it is going to cost.

I have the keys to both in my pocket. There is no question as to which is the better X-C airplane. Also there is no question as to which is the cheaper to fly. Best bang for the buck--that is your call, and depends on your mission. I see the 12 as quite a deal, with few limitations.

Bob

Good points all, Bob. Well said.

I should have said my $100k estimate was based on a QB with a new IO-320.

In 2007 I completed and flew my -9 for the first time for a total cost of $64K.

The plane is a tip-up tail dragger and was unpainted, the interior was by Rust-Oleum, I had a Dynon D100 EFIS, D10 EMS (great combo, BTW!), DJM center throttle quadrant, Andair fuel valve, parking brake, fire extinguisher, five point Hooker harnesses, 496 for nav, iCom A200 Radio, Garmin transponder, Catto wood prop, etc. In short, a day/night VFR ship. (Empty weight at that time was 990 lbs.)

The big ticket item, the engine, was found on Barnstormers for $3500, had zero since major, etc. Here's the catch, that overhaul was done in 1959 and the engine was pickled. Also, it was an O-290-D2 and was set up for an adjustable pitch prop, not a CS prop.

I pulled the jugs and all was fine, see picture below, replaced all the rubber seals, converted it to FP, changed the accessory case to add a fuel pump & oil filter, and flew it for almost three hundred hours until I had a prop strike and replaced it with an ECi O-360 kit engine.

In short, you can build a really nice RV for less than $100K, you just need to be prepared to do more work than most of today's builders.

(Click to enlarge)

(See my website for details of my initial build.)

FYI - As the airplane currently sits in my hangar, it has a Dynon SkyView 10" w/ transponder, iCom A210, Dynon auto pilot, full leather interior, and that O-360 that is covered by a Sam James Holey Cowl. All those changes increased my EW to 1080.

Last edited:
Did it under 65 K

My 9a came in under 65k. No scrounging, all new stuff.

Polished aluminum with fiberglass parts professionally painted arctic silver (I did prep work)
Slow build (2040 hours)
IO 320 with Sensench prop from Vans
Dynon D180, icom 210, GARMIN Transponder, G495 GPS, flight com intercom, electric trim on panel, map box, Classic Aero over Vans foam with carpets and armrests. Backup steam gauge for airspeed and altitude

Weighs 1070
Meets Vans performance numbers exactly.

Simple and light.

Yes, you can spend more, but why? I stayed focused on mission and avoided scope creep and mods.

It is performing exactly as expected. Been flying 16 months, 95 hours. Total avg 6.24 gal per hour. On trips at 145 knots, 7 gal per.

N709 RV
SN 90054

John O
Could you post a photo of the final result of the Arctic Silver on the fibreglass, adjacent to the polished aluminium?
I am thinking of same sort of thing but not sure how it turns out.
Don't want to hijack this thread, so if not appropriate to post here, possibly email it to me - I will send you my email address by PM.
John

Another data point

I tracked every purchase on my 9A finished in May including shop supplies and specialty tools. Excluding the tools I could resell, cost totaled $73K.

Slow build 9A (2692 hours)
New Mattituck IO-320
Sensenich FP prop from Van's
Dual steps, dual brakes, Van's FWF kit
Dynon 7" Skyview, GPS, EMS, transponder & A/P
Analog Airspeed, Altimeter & Compass (economy models)
Icom A210, PM 300 intercom, ACK 406 ELT
$5K in painting I prepped, but professionally shot
Flightline Upholstery over Van's seat foam
Aero LED Nav/Strobes and Harbor Freight LLs

All performance numbers meet Van's posted

Thoughts on building a low cost RV 9

Just for a bit of mental exercise consider the following three ads here in VAF.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=103672

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=103397

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=103685

All up asking price of the above is under 35K, and you get the all of the big ticket items needed to put together a basic day VFR 9.

And, the engine/prop is a certified combo, so only 25 fly off hours.

Tempting.............