airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I'm putting an IO360 in my 9A, and the engine I have has just the fingerscreen. I'm going to put an oil filter adapter on it, either directly on the block or a remote one. I would really like to have a vertical spin-on filter so it doesn't spill everywhere when changing oil, but I'm open to suggestions.

Does the Van's 90-degree adapter have enough room to fit on the 9A using the 360 engine mount? I'm also planning on a prop governor and SD8 alternator on the vacuum pad, and have a Plasma Lightspeed 1 on the right side mag pad.

I'm putting an IO360 in my 9A, and the engine I have has just the fingerscreen. I'm going to put an oil filter adapter on it, either directly on the block or a remote one. I would really like to have a vertical spin-on filter so it doesn't spill everywhere when changing oil, but I'm open to suggestions.

Does the Van's 90-degree adapter have enough room to fit on the 9A using the 360 engine mount? I'm also planning on a prop governor and SD8 alternator on the vacuum pad, and have a Plasma Lightspeed 1 on the right side mag pad.

Yes, it will work just fine. I have an O-360 in my -9 with the angle adapter and no issues of any kind. I didn't need the spacer that some others have talked about. The only thing to remember is to remove the filter before installing the engine.

The prop governor, AD8 alternator, and Lightspeed shouldn?t be an issue. Let me know, if you need pictures.

BTW, don't you know that the airplane will crash in flames if you put that BIG engine on your -9A?

Oil Filter Adaptor

Hi Greg,

Good to see you are progressing nicely on the build.

I have an Eci 90 degree adaptor and found that the 3/4" spacer moved my filter back sufficient to make filter changes easy. I also have the SD8 on the vacuum pad and an LS III hall affect on the right mag mount. I run a fp Catto on my 360/9a so no prop control.

Only problem I had was that Eci originally sent the wrong gasket with the adaptor---which they corrected with an SB---the one they originally sent blocked a part of one of the oil passages.

I would also caution---that plane probably won't get off the ground with that big heavy 360 on the nose.

Cheers,

db

Last edited:
BTW, don't you know that the airplane will crash in flames if you put that BIG engine on your -9A?

Yup - that's why I added extra fuel tank capacity to it. Makes a bigger fireball so it will be easier to find the wreckage. :cool:

By the way - I'd REALLY like to have a chance to fly a 9 or 9A with the 360 in it sometime soon - if you're within a few hundred miles of me I'll come to you in my 172. I need a momentum revival.

Last edited:
Hey Greg,

We live/base in Prescott, AZ----used to live in SAT. We still travel back and forth occassionally to SAT to visit friends---some times stop in Pecos for gas. I will pm you next time we plan a trip---we could deviate to Midland or you could meet us in Pecos for a momentum revival flight.

Cheers,

db

Or call me next time you head to SAT - we have family there and go there frequently as well. I'm headed down there this weekend as a matter of fact.