Righty

I am planning to install the Van's corrugated conduit in my wing and am a bit confused on how to place it. The instructions indicate that a tooling hole in the main wing ribs may be drilled to .75" for this purpose, but this size hole will come very close to the forward flange (I assume not to use the rear tooling hole). However, this Van's FAQ page http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Wing_Wiring.pdf instructs to drill this hole in the bottom 1/3 of the rib between the forward and second lightening holes. There is no tooling hole here. Any tips on specific placement?

The FAQ page also indicates that a #30 hole may be drilled near the bottom edge of the forward lighting hole to allow later installation of an additional conduit or attaching lines directly to the ribs with zip ties. My question here is where to place these holes in the RV9 ribs. The drawing shows placement for a 7/8 wing. Is the 9 wing configured the same way (aileron tube passes through the forward lightening hole)? I just want to make sure this would conflict with the controls later.

At the same time, I am planning on an AFS AOA, so I am wondering where I will tie into the pitot static line. Does this happen back in the panel? If one needs to connect to the static line in the wing, it would seem that an additional conduit run would be needed. The extra #30 holes would be useful for this purpose.

One for conduit and two up front...

Aaron,

In the left wing I drilled a 5/8 hole in addition to enlarging the tooling hole up front. This gave me routing room for my AOA and Pitot lines. I then drilled a 3/4 hole for the conduit behind the forward most lightening hole. The aileron push tube does reside inside this forward lightening hole. Here's a photo of my routing.

200811021145_68_3_m.jpg

I can't tell you that it's OK to have an additional hole up front... I don't think Vans has officially endorsed having two on the front of the rib, but I felt comfortable doing so.

I would recommend that if you drill for conduit, try and locate the hole as close to center as possible, between the rivet holes below it. The conduit sits low and close to the rib flange. When it comes time to rivet, it's hard to get a bucking bar between the conduit and the rivet.

Last edited:
I get it now

Thanks for the feedback guys. Nate, it looks like you did exactly what the FAQ page says to do; "drill out the forward tooling hole to a maximum of 5/8 inches." I only see two holes in addition to the conduit in your pic. One would be the standard for the pitot and the other would be the enlarged tooling hole.

This only leaves the #30 hole at the bottom of the forward lightening hole if desired. Anyone out there done that? It seems this might be useful for running antenna wires separate from power wires in the conduit to reduce possible noise problems. Any merit to this?