cajunwings

Well Known Member
Recently acquired a 9A that was damaged in a nose over. It will be rebuilt as a 9 with a different eng & prop setup from what it was originally signed off with. This a/c has current registration and airworthiness certificates, so a couple of questions for the brain trust that is V.A.F.

Where do I find guidance on what is required after major repairs and/or configuration changes?

Is there and easy way to tell if this was a quick or slow build and do I need to care at this point?

I will need complete t/w 9 landing gear & eng mount. Are any of the 9 landing gear parts common to other models?

Additionally I have all the 9A gear & mount except for the nose strut to sell or trade. (100tt).

Don B
A&P, IA, ATP.
Flying a Mooney but will finally have an RV.

Repairs,etc

Read your Operating Limitations. They contain language that addresses your issues.

Major Alterations

It all depends on what is in the Operating Limitations for the airplane. Different MIDO/FSDO and DARs have some varations. Typically you will have to notify your FSDO and enter an abreviated phase 1 flight test. Really depends on your existing operating limitations and what your FSDO/DAR want. I rebuilt a Pitts experimental that had been wrecked and even used a different engine and prop. The FSDO asigned me a test area and required a 5 hours phase one test.

Last edited:
The only interchangeable part of the -9's landing gear is the tail stinger and tailwheel.

The engine mount and gear legs are unique to the -9.

The -9A engine mount may or may not be interchangeable with the -7A, I don't know.

I believe the -9A's main gear mounts are different than the -7A's.

As the others have said, check your operating limitations for the change out.

When I put a new engine in my -9, it only took a five hour phase 1 test period and then a log book entry.

As for the quick vs. standard build question, it really doesn't matter with the new kits like the -9. You can't build them out of alignment.

9A and 7A engine mount are the same for an O360, I don't know about the 320 or other engines.

Check the VS to see whether the original builder modified the bracket to save weight. This comes as an "H" bracket on the QB kits, because when they're built nobody knows whether they will end up a 9 or 9A. If a slow build, the builder may have opted to trim the bracket for some weight savings. If it's trimmed, you will have to replace it for strength to hold the TW bracket.

Greg

The 9A O-320 engine mount is the same as a 6A; my 9A has the mount from a 6A destroyed in Hurricane Charlie. I would guess it is the same as a 7A, but only a guess.

Bob